Thursday, July 7, 2022

Minority Report

 Minority Report (2002)

Runtime: 146 long minutes

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Starring: Tom Cruise and plenty of other talented actors who I wish were in something I enjoyed more

From: Dreamworks/20th Century Fox

Never watch the food in the fridge scene if you’re hungover! Now, that’s not a determination I made yesterday; rather, that was my opinion from 2003, when I first saw this movie. It was the morning after I went to a pal’s apartment at a university different than my own. Being college, there was a party the night before & I was hungover when this was viewed. My opinion on it was lukewarm but after the fact I just presumed it was due to me being less than 100%; I hadn’t gone back to it since last night and honestly, the main memory I had all those years was that scene involving the food in the refrigerator. At the end I’ll mention a recently learned factoid which spurned me to finally give this a second chance.

After all this time, I can say definitely… this movie is just not for me. It’s a nonsense plot (I hate saying it considering that most movies adapted from Philip K. Dick stories I really enjoy) filled with characters I didn’t really like or enjoy-it’s not even that Cruise as a lead played quite the flawed individual-a rather ludicrous premise of “a trio of mutants can see murders in the future but for some reason only in the Washington, D.C. area and oh yeah, those images are projected onto a screen and even more bizarrely those names are printed on wooden spheres… but if you need to know which person w/ that name is going to commit the murder, you better piece that together using context clue or you’re up the creek!”, and I’m sure there’s a pretentious reason why much of the cinematography is so washed out but no matter the explanation, Minority Report is just an ugly movie to look at.

It's not a motion picture I hated; the talented cast certainly tries their hardest with such a nonsense plot. The general talent of the director also helped even if I had a number of questions w/ the decisions made here. As much as I enjoyed the Spielberg movies I saw as a child, there’s little regret with not seeing too much of his 21st century output. Some I’ll give a shot to in the future but I’ll be rather careful w/ what I select; “Reference: The Movie”… excuse me, “Ready Player One” won’t be one I pick, that’s a guarantee. As for what I learned recently in a messageboard thread: was I the only one who had no knowledge that there was a Minority Report videogame? Minority Report: Everybody Runs was a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube title which apparently was OK so no loss in me never playing a minute of it.

While many love the movie more than me, that’s alright; there’s plenty of sci-fi I can explore which should be more my liking. One thing I decidedly did NOT remember: early on Cruise refers to an FBI agent as a TWINK when he’s told that one would be visiting their private operation. Seconds later he sees that this “twink” is in the room, and it’s Colin Farrell.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment