Saturday, July 30, 2022

Lost Highway

Lost Highway (1997)

Runtime: 135 minutes

Directed by: David Lynch

Starring: Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, Balthazar Getty, Robert Blake, Natasha Gregson Wagner

From: October Films

Here we go... this will be another rather lengthy review for me but context is definitely needed. Up to a few years ago the only David Lynch I had seen was Blue Velvet. Finally, I experienced all his theatrical movies up to 1990 and except for Dune I rate all pretty highly; even with Dune that was fine and it's a shame that Lynch was not able to release his version of the film.

Yet I've never seen Twin Peaks (so there's no Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me to discuss; maybe one day...) or anything past that as to be honest, the idea of a movie being hardcore surreal or bizarre is one that gives me tremendous pause. After all, look at just how violently I rejected everything concerning Everything Everywhere All at Once. A bigger fear before last night was that I would have to suddenly not like a director once he went in a different direction and created art that was more about feeling and interpretation than adhering to traditional plot structure. I would feel bad if I had to suddenly rate a Lynch movie as not being good.

If you're wondering how I saw this film, it was in a big way: the local arthouse joint in the Orlando area (the Enzian, a place I've frequented at least a dozen times before) played it. I hadn't been there in a few years so it was nice to return. As it was the 4K restoration that's been touring the country playing at arthouses all over the place-and multiple people have told me that theatrical is the way to experience ANY Lynch-then I'd be a clown to miss out on such an opportunity. In fact, I'm sure some are envious I got to have this as the first time experience.

As for my overall thoughts: now it's realized what a court jester I was for being apprehensive about the film. Weird, yes it was. Utterly impenetrable or insufferable due to the story being incomprehensible on purpose, no it wasn't. I do know that the movie is supposed to be up to interpretation and there are suggestions as to what it could all mean. The Occam's Razor philosophy being used to explain what happened, that's the scenario I'll go with (I won't provide details for those who were like me before last night and haven't had this experience) although I am willing to watch the movie again eventually and further viewings may create more complex theories. For certain, it does seem as if there are several themes present and that is worthy of discussion (as to what it all means or what Lynch was trying to say) w/ any & all Lost Highway fans.

As this is a neo-noir, some tropes from the noirs of old are presented, although some are twisted around. In fact, I will say that IMO one theme is masculinity-and the lack thereof-along with an exaggerated version of the femme fatale. There is a LOT of sex & nudity and I don't want to think that Lynch is just being a perv; there has to be other reasons, such as it was done for exaggeration to prove a point. I won't say this is objectionable although it is unfortunate in hindsight that several people are in this. Robert Blake (as Satan? That allegedly was his rationalization of his character) has a small yet important role; a key plot point is brutally ironic considering the presence of Blake. Despite his being found innocent of murdering Bonny Lee Bakley, I just don't know... there's also having to both see & hear Marilyn Manson; it seems like he has hurt multiple women. Heck, even in a small role is Louis Eppolito, a former NYC detective who did so many bad things for the Five Families of the Mafia, he was sentence to life in prison. None of this impacted my opinion of Lost Highway.

It was great to see the movie on the big screen; it does sound & look excellent after the 4K restoration. As always with the director, the soundscape/soundtrack/songs were in happy harmony w/ each other and helped create the appropriate mood for this dark tale. Also, what a cast; Bill Pullman, Balthazar Getty and Patricia Arquette did stand out with their performances although that's no slight on the other familiar faces that appear... everyone from Gary Busy and Robert Loggia (the latter was the source of the movie's funniest scene) to Natasha Gregson Wagner and in a cameo, Richard Pryor's final film role.

Overall, if you are a fan of this film or you've watched some other Lynch pictures, you need to see Lost Highway on the big screen if at all possible. Admittedly, I do rate The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet even higher but that's mainly my preferences to preferring more traditional storytelling. It'll take months instead of years but yes I will watch all the other feature films of David Lynch.

No comments:

Post a Comment