Wednesday, April 6, 2022

RRR

RRR (2022)

Runtime: 183 minutes

Directed by: S.S. Rajamouli

Starring: N.T. Rama Ro, Jr., Ram Charan, Ajay Devgn, Alia Bhatt, Ray Stevenson!

From: Several Indian companies

Imagine an even more absurd Fast & Furious w/ more homoeroticism, song & dance numbers and less Axe body spray douchiness.

Me applying such a high rating is a surprise even to me yet the rave reviews I saw in some places made me go see this Indian movie, only the third I've seen theatrically. I honestly should watch more from that country on the big screen. It's in this second week and there's a reason I did not see it first week which I'll address at the end; it concerns a release strategy which I hope Hollywood does NOT ever copy. This is a Telugu language movie although the version I saw was dubbed in Hindi-which was noticeable.

The setting is 1920 India and as there's British occupation, they (well, mainly the men) are portrayed as evil incarnate. One family (portrayed by Alison Doody & Ray Stevenson-no, really) takes a local girl as if she was their pet. The leader of the village (Ram) is PISSED so he wishes to take her back. Meanwhile, Raju is an officer in the occupying army who is actually undercover wishing to acquire weapons so his village can fight back. Ram and Raju meet up, have an epic bromance for the ages, and a LOT happens in a movie a hair over 3 hours long.

The chief fact to note: this is absolutely absurd. This is actually quite loosely based on real life figures at the time, although presumably they didn't have a bromance where one carries the other piggyback after a dance-off, no, that actually happens. They also aren't superhuman figures that Nick Fury should be recruiting for The Avengers, although that trope is common in most of the country's output I've seen that's been made in the 21st century. Yet the movie is so earnest, so bold in being melodramatic to the max, displaying raw emotion, having wacky music, presenting Ram (who you first see kicking a tiger's ass!) needing his bro's help in trying to talk to a pretty British girl, the epic length, how horrible the villains are... it is bold, and also bold entertainment that was a blast to experience on the big screen.

There are three quality, satisfying action scenes in the first 45 minutes—then the opening title card appears. Take that, Fresh! From there amongst the madness was a few more action setpieces that are absolutely stellar, absolutely over the top, in a gleeful manner-I dare not spoil the best moments. It was an exhausting 183 minutes yet I was happy to be on the roller coaster ride. It's not for all tastes yet it successfully scratched my itch; I had such a good time, granting this a very high rating felt warranted.

As for what I mentioned at the beginning concerning its release in the United States: in the first week, not only could you not use a service like AMC A-List, a ticket cost at least 25 bucks... hell, I saw that there was a Dolby Cinema screening where you had to pay FORTY-THREE dollars to get in. After that initial week, prices went down to something more acceptable and I could use an app instead of paying for a ticket. Plenty of tickets were still sold despite the jacked-up prices, so eventually I developed the horrifying thought of Hollywood deciding this would be an appropriate way to make even more cash from their blockbusters. I'm not egotistical enough to believe that any mover or shaker would be reading this, but please don't ever release a movie where a family of five would theoretically have to pay at least 150 bucks just to see the next MCU entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment