Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: Jay Roach

Starring: Mike Myers, Elizabeth Hurley, Michael York, Robert Wagner, Seth Green

From: New Line Cinema

Another time when I needed a laugh.

There was no way I was going to view anything on Sunday night; it wasn't even the Kobe news, although that was shocking and I feel awful that 9 people perishing in such a horrific manner, some of them children. Imagine coming across that news when you are at an informal get-together that was for the 1st anniversary of someone I know passing away at way too young an age... Monday, among other things... a podcast I listen to, one of the hosts had his dad die; for certain I needed something funny to make me feel better, and I hadn't checked out any Austin Powers film in who knows how long.

Thankfully, this hasn't aged too poorly. Not all the humor lands but overall it still is pretty funny, and much-though not all-of its best moments are when it parodies the most ridiculous aspects of the old Bond movies or other 60's British cinema. For those familiar w/ 007 on screen, there are many nods... whether they be obvious or more subtle. There is also the comedy of a stereotypical 60's UK cad in the drastically different 90's, or how in 2020 it is easy for me to chuckle at the late 90's, when I was a teenager during those years. So is seeing Dr. Evil also woefully out of touch 30 years later.

A talented cast-including some cameos, not all of which I had recalled beforehand-an appropriate score, a groovy soundtrack of new and old songs (which forever made Quincy Jones' Soul Bossa Nova attached to this character), plenty of amusing dialogue and such stereotypical old spy locations such as Las Vegas and “an underground lair” help in creating an accurate send-up that for certain has crude moments but never becomes gross and it was something which did brighten my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment