Friday, October 18, 2019

I Talk Another Spooky Cartoon

Last night I was going to view something but to be frank, I was just too tired to do so. Thus, for now I'll talk about a spooky cartoon I viewed a few days ago: 1937's Spooky Frolics, which is in essence a remake of something I saw earlier this season: 

This cartoon from Ub Iwerks is in essence a remake of his 1929 The Skeleton Dance, only this is in Technicolor and it was made for Columbia. Like with Dance, the creepy setting is a cemetery graveyard on a cold, blustery windy Fall night, and the skeletons come out to use their skulls as weapons, dance, and more in a setting that looked great with all the colors that were used and how they were used.

Frolics also contained various imagery associated with this time of year (bats, black cats, pumpkins, etc.) and there is the bonus of a literal skeleton symphonic orchestra so IMO both this and The Skeleton Dance are perfect viewing for the Halloween season.

No comments:

Post a Comment