Thursday, October 24, 2019

Terrified


Runtime: 87 minutes

Directed by: Demian Rugna

Starring: Norberto Golzalo, Maximilliano Ghione, Elvira Onetto, George L. Lewis, Julieta Vallina

From: Several Argentinian companies

Here is the first of three posts I'll be making in a few minutes. This is a recent horror film worth checking out for genre fans: 
Not to be confused with the killer clown movie Terrifier. In the discourse I've seen surrounding Terrified, the film that has a similar title and came out around the same time has been brought up. I haven't viewed the killer clown movie but Terrified is more than just something which has a title that may confuse some horror fans that don't live and breathe the scene.

This is from Argentina and revolves around spooky events happening in a suburban Buenos Aires neighborhood; this includes the scary humanoid figure which has been spotlighted in the film's advertisements. Investigating are a quartet of older people... two police officers (one of whom is a paranormal fan) and two paranormal investigators; one of the four is somewhere in his 40's and the others are senior citizen types w/ gray hair. For me it was refreshing to see a modern genre movie centered around characters in that age bracket.

I will not give any surprises away as a big factor in me liking this as much as I did was its surprises and it zigging when I was expecting a zagging. This is not “subverting expectations” in a stupid way that breaks the story and makes the characters seem extremely stupid (I won't even bring up the popular 2017 film that does this as most people here seem to love it for those reasons and I'll never not be baffled and bumfuzzled by that). Rather, the movie has its unpredictable moments and at least for me, that kept me on edge throughout. So did the scary moments that occurred-it does live up to its title and great sound design.

There is some CG not up to snuff and a final shot that is a cliché; otherwise, this is well worth giving a shot to if you are an active member of Shudder. Terrified has some very haunting sequences and at least for me, I really enjoyed hanging out with Funes, Jano, Dr. Albreck and Rosentook.

No comments:

Post a Comment