Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Night Of The Living Dead (The Remake)

Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Runtime: 89 minutes

Directed by: Tom Savini

Starring: Tony Todd, Patricia Tallman, Tom Towles, McKee Anderson, William Butler

From: 21st Century Film Corporation/Columbia

Technically this isn't the only remake of Dead, but I understand there's one made in 2006 (in 3D) that is a travesty: 

You yo-yo's!

As I have done in previous years, when it is time for “Hoop-tober” around Letterboxd I don't officially participate, although it is nice to look at the lists of those that do. I instead watch whatever the hell I want and thus I know there will be a wide variety from many decades; I just have no idea now what those motion pictures will be. Early in November I'll post the full list of what I'll view the next two months. It won't strictly be horror for me the next two months although that should be the majority of what I talk about here.

A few years ago I reviewed the OG Night of the Living Dead, and aside from it being a horror classic that is still influential today, it's a haunting downbeat movie that has lost none of its power, whether it comes to the frightening moments or the social commentary. I am not sure if it needed a remake but it happened and at least there is talent present, from behind the camera (Tom Savini directed this) or the cast members that I'll mention later. A big asset is that key cogs from the original (Romero, John A. Russo, Russell Streiner) worked on this behind the scenes. That helped make it not disrespectful to '68.

Those that remember the original's plot, I don't need to dwell on that here as much of this follows the 1968 picture rather closely. Barbara and Ben end up in that farmhouse in the middle of nowhere (Johnny here-played by Bill Moseley!-was even more of an A-hole, making his death a welcomed moment), only to discover some others hiding in the cellar. Speaking of A-holes, Harry here was even more of a boor and a jerk than in the original, making it clear that everyone in the house should follow Ben's plans, as would you want to be locked in a cellar with a loud and obnoxious tool who calls people “yo-yo's”?

This has far less social commentary, which probably explains why the ending is different; I am not sure it is “better” but different it sure is. While not very good like the original, this is not a shameful remake by any means. Following the original story closely and not screwing it up helps, along with nice gore effects when they do occasionally appear, a creepy score that sometimes gets synth-heavy, and talented leads. Some of the acting isn't spectacular but at least the leads do deliver. Tom Towles was swell as that weasel Harry and Patricia Tallman helped make Barbara much more an active participant and a much stronger character than the OG film. Duane Jones was the highlight in '68 as Ben, the strongest and most logical character who happened to be black because Romero thought he delivered the best audition, and Tony Todd's version of Ben is just about as solid a lead and he was great in the role.

I understand that Savini himself hated working on the film as Romero was away working on The Dark Half and some of the producers (he did not specify who) interfered so he wasn't even able to do half of what he had planned, then like with the third Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the MPAA did rear its ugly head... a shame, as Savini (who would have worked on the original if not for Vietnam) could have made a classic. As is, I still enjoyed the finished product for what it was. Oh, and I don't know which print it was that Amazon used and I streamed this afternoon, except that thankfully it wasn't from Twilight Time. It being a limited release made the horror fans pretty mad before it even came out, then the cinematographer being involved with the process of restoring the print and deciding for some reason to make the print really dark... I am just glad it wasn't what I streamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment