Sunday, September 8, 2019

Cut-Throats Nine


Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: Joaquin Luis Romero Marchent

Starring: Robert Hundlar, Emma Cohen, Alberto Dalbes, Antonio Iranzo, Manuel Tejada

From: Films Triunfo S.A.

This was as infamous as I heard it was: 

To start this off on an off-topic note, September has not turned out like I expected it to be. Some things have happened that left me bumfuzzled (details won't be provided by myself) and in particular, Thursday and Friday I was preoccupied by other things, mainly offering someone assistance with something, which did eat up some free time. While this month has not started off on a great note hankfully things returned to normal-relatively speaking-and I had time to check out this infamous Western w/ horror elements. 

The plot is simple enough: A group of convicts who are traveling to jail via wagon are attacked by bandits due to a belief they are clandestinely also carrying gold; they then have to walk while the sergeant leading this transport (alone with his attractive daughter, who was there for flimsy reasons... of course the movie had her for T&A and also plot machinations) figures out which one of these scummy characters killed his wife. Even for a movie like this, it was rather nihilistic and also incredibly bleak; such things aren't always my cup of tea.

Following around a bunch of scumbags and unlikable characters can be a hard sell for me, depending on the circumstances. But, there was enough here (such as the graphic moments, the mystery aspect and the lovely Spanish scenery) that I can say this was fine overall; that got me through how... well, I don't want to say “grimdark” as that is usually used in a pejorative sense and describes something different from this... it's not the easiest movie to watch, something that I occasionally say here. At times this did seem familiar; I mean, it's a group of unpleasant characters who end up together in a snow-covered landscape, they argue with each other, and end up at a shack in the middle of nowhere-why, yes this was one of the influences on The Hateful Eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment