Sunday, August 18, 2019

Persona

Persona (1966)

Runtime: 83 minutes

Directed by: Ingmar Bergman

Starring: Bibi Andersson, Liv Ullmann, and some people that appear in bit parts

From: AB Svensk Filmindustri

I am now caught up here; this was viewed a few nights ago: 

I am not quite sure what I saw, but it was tremendous.

Late last night this played on Turner Classic Movies and as it is one of those movies said to be a must-see for any hardcore film fan, a fool would be I if this was not viewed for free.

The first few minutes are avant-garde and such things usually are not for me, to be perfectly frank here. I started to get worried-then after the opening credits there were only a few brief moments of that; the rest of the movie was more traditional, at least in structure. I feel that is important to state in case anyone tries the film and get so turned off by that opening bit of weirdness, they shut it off. What it was all about concerning nurse Bibi Andersson taking care of suddenly mute Liv Ullmann in the lovely countryside of the island of Faro... that's what everyone has debated since 1966.

I will not reveal which theory or theories I subscribe to this after viewing; besides it possibly changing years into the future when I check this out for a second time, it would be a crime if anything was revealed and the experience of anyone checking this out in the future was tainted by me. I can say that Andersson and Ullmann both do a tremendous job... which is key as most of the film it's just those two on screen. It was masterfully directed by a legend and for me the key aspect is the cinematography from Sven Nykvist and how this black and white picture used light and shadows perfectly; as I discovered, that alone was a loud voice in expressing the various messages Persona projected.

Wikipedia lists the most popular theories as to the true meaning of this movie; for all we know more than one is “correct.” For something so abstract I was glad I could still connect with this and not view it as “pretentious twaddle”, which could have happened despite how blasphemous that would have been for most here at Letterboxd. It should not be seen just because it's been influential in the decades after it's come out... but rather because it is a unique experience that I am sure will affect everyone in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment