Saturday, August 24, 2019

Ready Or Not



Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Radio Silence

Starring: Samara Weaving, Adam Brody, Mark O'Brien, Henry Czerny, Andie McDowall

From: Fox Searchlight

Thankfully Trump has never heard of this movie.

I don't mean to get political here but multiple people have noted how this got a release while the other “people hunting another human being” picture in The Hunt got its release cancelled. That cancellation was pretty asinine and overly sensitive... and The Hunt wasn't even something I was really looking forward to. As for Ready or Not, I did not even know this was a thing until redband trailers played before a pair of movies I saw earlier in the summer; later on I saw the regular version of the trailer and it was not the same. I thought the premise was ludicrous, although at least I did laugh. Then I realized it was from Radio Silence, a collective of guys (or perhaps I should say dominion) who created one of the few segments in any of the V/H/S movies I actually liked. That and hearing strong reviews for this means that I might as well give this a shot, right?

I imagine most are familiar with the plot about how an uber-rich family introduces a common girl to their ranks after marriage by playing a lethal game of hide and seek. Well, there is a reason why and the family earned their money from making board games and being involved in other gaming situations, even owning sports teams... to cut to the chase, this was meant to be satirical in making fun of how pompous and silly such wealthy people are. It isn't as stinging a look at how terrible some (or maybe many) of those ranks are... yet there were still enough laughs and suspenseful moments in a great-looking setting where I can say this was good overall.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for more due to all the high praise I heard. I had some issues with the story, especially in the final act, character motivations and the resolution to this story. Plus, one key moment was shot incoherently so I still don't quite know what in the hell happened. Plus, Samara Weaving's Grace could have been much more of a kick-ass heroine than she was portrayed here-Sharni Vinson's Erin in You're Next is the most obvious example that comes to mind. Shame, as she was still great in the role w/ what she was given. Then again, given how dire and rotten 2019 has been for movies (at least for me, it has been far worse than in the preceding several years) I can't bemoan this too hard as while there are some stupid moments, at least this rises to a level of being fine, which I can't even say about far too many theatrical pictures I've viewed in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment