Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Baskin

Baskin (2015)

Runtime: 97 minutes

Directed by: Can Evrenol

Starring: Mehmet Cerrahoglu, Gorkem Kasal, Ergun Kuyucu, Muharrem Bayrak, Fatih Dokgoz

From: Mo Film

A tasty Baskin Robbins treat this was not...

The discovery that the director's latest film (Housewife) is being marketed at places like Amazon as if it was Mandy, Part II (especially with the poster art) even though I understand that misleading at best and fraud at worst... it made me realize I should check out the polarizing Turkish film to see on which side of the fence I fall on.

Unfortunately, I thought this was unpleasant nonsense. The first act revolving around sex, discussion of sex (including transphobic dialogue) and the realization that the quintet of cops we follow are unlikable A-holes, so I did not really care when the fit hit the shan and they experience weird, surrealistic events. Also, the movie hardly has a plot at all and instead is a bunch of strange, random events and of course it's not always told in a linear fashion either, occasionally having flashbacks for no real good reason.

Sure, the movie uses color really well, the electronic score is cool and there are many gross moments & images... but when the first two acts almost caused me to doze off, the story I did not really give a damn about, and it all seemed so clumsy to me... I am glad many got much more out of this than I did. It's more style than substance, a form of entertainment which usually is not too terribly entertaining to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment