Saturday, March 9, 2019

History Of The World: Part I


Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Mel Brooks

Starring: Mel Brooks, Dom DeLuise, Gregory Hines, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman

From: 20th Century Fox

“It is said that the people are revolting.” “You're right, they stink on ice!”
  
Long ago I last saw this film, so now was the right time for me to see something where I remembered only several moments, which were naturally the most famous scenes, such as the entire Spanish Inquisition segment.

This is an anthology which has several segments throughout history, such as The Roman Empire and The French Revolution. Many people who you expect in Mel Brooks films show up, such as Dom DeLuise, Harvey Korman (as Count De Money... excuse me, Count De Monet) and Madeline Kahn. Gregory Hines shows up in his film debut; originally it was going to be Richard Pryor-which would have been tremendous-but “getting so high you light yourself on fire & burn yourself severely” will leave you out of action for awhile, and Hines does a fine job as a replacement. I'd be surprised that Orson Welles added gravitas as the narrator, but it was the 80's so he was always happy to get a paycheck then.

Naturally, plenty of the humor is pretty vulgar; I know that's not for everyone but the only moment that looks bad in modern times is a certain homophobic slur being uttered a few times at a flamboyantly gay character. Otherwise, I did laugh at all the dirty puns and jokes based on sex, along with wordplay that isn't crass in nature. There are nice matte paintings on display throughout so those historical worlds are brought to life effectively. The highlight is indeed the Broadway musical number about The Spanish Inquisition, which was nicely choreographed, is a catchy tune, and manages to be funny without being in poor taste despite it being about a horrible moment from the past.

Of course I wouldn't have minded a Part II either and this isn't the funniest thing that Brooks has done... that doesn't mean this wasn't a pleasant revisit as Part I was funnier than I had remembered from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment