Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Grease




Runtime: 111 minutes

Directed by: Randal Kleiser

Starring: A quality cast

From: Paramount

Yes, this was a first-time watch for me. Considering some of the material in the movie, who knows what I would have thought if I watched this often as a kid, as my two sisters did:

Would people believe me when I say that I had not seen Grease in full until last night? It may sound surprising but it is true. It was (as sometimes happens) a messageboard discussion which stoked the fire and made me realize I should finally watch this from beginning to end. I had seen bits and pieces throughout my life and my younger sisters loved it when we were all kids. Later on, once I realized what the lyrics to Greased Lightnin' were (wow at some of the words they used in the song) and now realizing the movie is about a bunch of horny teenagers, a little awkward that my sisters watched this plenty while growing up.

I am sure everyone is familiar with the plot even if you haven't watched the movie yourselves (I mean, I was) and how Danny & Sandy have an off and on relationship because he wants to be a “tough guy” with his goofball gang the T-Birds, who love things like The Three Stooges routines. To be frank, I thought the story was silly nonsense and both the songs and the choreography of the musical numbers were a lot better; thankfully they got that part right, and they put together a quality cast. It was just that for me, the supporting characters (like each member in the Pink Lady posse, Vince Fontaine or Principal McGee) happened to be more interesting than the two leads; I am not slighting either Travolta or Newton-John. It was just the characters they had to portray.

To address what has become a controversy in recent years, the ending... I did not quite interpret it as many have. I just thought it was a silly thing where Danny suddenly dresses more to Sandy's taste (by wearing a letterman's jacket due to him participating in track) and she tries to be appealing to him by wearing leather and being “tough”. She says one line, then they start singing. As he loses the jacket, I took it as a message that they should just be themselves and not be like each other as they are still a great couple. I know she did not have a costume change herself, but I never thought “she suddenly became a slut and that's how she wins him” or whatever narrative is being stated now. I will admit I could be 100% in the wrong here; that is just how I saw the movie's conclusion.

Anyhow, like I said it is amusing to think that plenty of people saw this as kids (including my siblings) and all the “blue” moments flew over their heads. There are phrases like “flog your log” and then there was this moment that I heard about from someone... when Danny suddenly turns into Tony Manero for a scene and forces himself on Sandy, she leaves the car and well... she slams the car door on his erection! No kidding, that's what it had to be considering Danny's reaction. Not a surprise to me Coca-Cola did not allow a painting with their logo to appear at the malt shop, resulting in an obviously blurred image in the background for one scene... by the way, that's why you ask corporations permission to use their product BEFORE filming starts. From what I heard, they finally relented so it is now unblurred in the new 4K release.

Grease is not a movie I love (but it still is the word) yet there were enough enjoyable moments and the soundtrack/musical numbers were great so overall I will say this is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment