Thursday, August 9, 2018

Frozen In Love


Runtime: 84 minutes

Directed by: Scott Smith

Starring: Rachael Leigh Cook, Niall Matter, Sandy Sidhu, Madison Smith, Tammy Gillis

From: The Hallmark Channel

Tuesday night (along with a few beers) I rewatched She's All That, this time on Blu-ray. It is easy to make fun of the movie for various reasons, but it's still charming and I still feel a blast of nostalgia from it because I was a teen in the mid to late 1990's. Wednesday evening I watched The Hallmark Channel, but for an interesting reason: 

If you are wondering why I watched something on The Hallmark Channel yesterday, it wasn't for the absurdity of the situation (although it is chuckle-worthy as most of what they show on the channel is the kind of tripe I try to avoid... even if by and by I have heard that some of those plots are pretty ludicrous). Yes, it was because Rachael Leigh Cook was the star... but that was not her only role. The other hats she wore were executive producer and also co-writer, which was her first script. I had to see this then, right?

It is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the premise of a bookstore owner and a brute hockey player having to work together (as the bookstore is in dire straits and the player needs to rehab his bad boy image and not act like such a dick)... they don't get along at first but then things change... and they both become better people, etc. Romance movies usually aren't my thing, I'll be honest here.

Yet I was fine with this movie. I may not be entirely objective here but I hope I am not too biased. What is a big help... the film is usually amusing. I was glad this was the case; on social media Rachael is usually pretty funny, possessing a dry wit. Being able to laugh a number of times was nice with a predictable story. At least the cast did a fine job and the scenery (it was supposed to be Colorado in the winter, but as it's cheaper to film in Canada, the location was actually some town in British Columbia) was quite pretty.

I know that most reading this will never have any interest in such a motion picture; yet it is inoffensive (“I'll be darned” is an actual line of dialogue) and the presumption by me is that many of your moms will love it. I am sure mine will, as she does sometimes watch those sappy movies they typically have on between reruns of such things as The Golden Girls, I Love Lucy and Frasier.

No comments:

Post a Comment