Monday, June 4, 2018

Upgrade



Runtime: 96 minutes

Directed by: Leigh Whannell

Starring: Logan Marshall-Green, Betty Gabriel, Harrison Gilbertson, Benedict Hardie, Melanie Vallejo

From: Blumhouse Tilt

Ooh man, what a movie this is. I can give very high marks to this motion picture and you probably will know by the end if it matches your tastes or not: 

Even though I had heard of this movie before and the plot sounded intriguing, I paid little attention to it before this past weekend. I know I never saw a trailer for it on the big screen and I don't know if I ever did online. The strong word of mouth I heard recently meant this was something I needed to see theatrically. I am glad I did, considering my very high rating. Seeing the movie again in the future may cause me to lower the rating a bit as the flaws may be more apparent or more irritating to me. As of now, I greatly appreciate seeing a hard R sci-fi body horror action picture, no matter it being a B picture.

I do not want to give away what I presume was not in the trailer so I'll be basic: a guy who admittedly has a funny name of Grey Trace lives in a near-future that is much more tech-heavy but he's a technophobe, preferring to work on 70's muscle cars and listen to Howlin' Wolf on vinyl. One fateful night his girlfriend is killed and he becomes a quadriplegic. He happens to know a socially awkward young genius tech billionaire (looks-wise, think Justin Bieber) who has a tech implant called STEM that will make him walk again. Turns out, STEM can talk to him and Grey gets the idea to exert revenge once he gets a lead on who were the participants in the attack.

I can say the movie is totally B all the way, and to me that is great. It reminded me of many things; RoboCop is obvious but there are also more modern pictures and that would reveal a lot if I divulged what they were. At least on the surface, the story is slick yet a blast and was not so dumb and full of plotholes it ruined the experience. In fact, the movie tries to add depth and discuss a number of topics revolving around our future becoming more technology-infused. When you get the action scenes: it is clear why the movie is rated R as there are some rather gruesome moments, although usually of the “audience cheering” variety. In addiction, things are shot in an interesting way that thankfully adds to the scene rather than makes you nauseous (I am looking at you, shaky-cam) or any other technique that takes away from the scene, whether to cover things that are not choreographed well or a foolish attempt to be “cool” or anything else. It was cool in this case and there is also dark humor throughout that actually was amusing.

The continuing trend of modern films trying to be “hip” by using both neon colors and a synth score, even a fan like me can admit it is starting to become a cliché; it doesn't mean I still don't usually like it, as I do and I did here. Clearly, this sort of movie is best for a certain audience; also clearly, I am part of that certain audience as I ate this up and found it a welcome respite from all the summer season movies I couldn't care less about.

No comments:

Post a Comment