Friday, June 8, 2018

Hotel Artemis



Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Drew Pearce

Starring: Jodie Foster, Sterling K. Brown, Sofia Boutella, Dave Bautista, Jeff Goldblum

From: Global Road Entertainment

What a missed opportunity this is: 

If I ever saw advertising for the film beforehand (such as trailers) they went in one ear and out the other. That was fine with me, as trailers are typically poorly done in general, nevermind how they spoil way too much. I only knew that this was about a hotel which is populated by criminals and most film fans will think of the similar idea that is the Continental Hotel in the John Wick universe. If the advertising ever promised something comparable to John Wick then boy did they ever see everyone a bill of goods.

This is not an action movie by any means. What little of it you do see is fine, but I wanted a lot more; at least it would have added some excitement to this lame, utterly forgettable motion picture. All I will say about the plot is that the setting is Los Angeles, 2028; the titular Hotel Artemis (which still has a World War II design) is actually a hospital where criminals are patched up with “nanotechnology”. Although, this “secret” place where only a select number of criminals are allowed membership has a giant neon sign advertising the hotel and its location... anyhow, there's an LA riot due to an event that was incredibly ham-fisted and eye-rolling, IMO, and the story takes place during one long night.

For a silly yet still interesting premise and a great cast, I expected a lot more. Instead this is a dreadfully dull movie as I did not care about any of the characters or their cliché problems. The lineup does the best they can with the script yet it was not enough. Most of the people you see are A-holes and not even interesting ones that are an intriguing follow; instead a bunch of random crap happens and I just did not care. For me the story was not engaging at all. What did not help was Charlie Day's presence. I never watched It's Always Sunny... as I avoid vile garbage involving repugnant characters; I just know that his role here was in essence the R-rated version of whatever he was doing in Pacific Rim: Uprising. That is not a compliment or honestly, anything I ever want to see in a movie again.

The fact that the ending is a wet fart and was not satisfying for me at all... I do understand those that will dig this more than I do. Personally, this could have been delightful even if the story differed from expectations if I could have cared about the plot or the characters and yet it seemed half-baked to me so I did not care. It's not a fair comparison yet as it came out only one week earlier and both deal with the near-future & feature some future technology... Upgrade was much better at presenting its story and providing entertainment for its audience. Seeing Jodie Foster again after all this time was nice and all but that was not enough where I could give this a passing grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment