Saturday, June 16, 2018

2010

2010 (1984)

Runtime: 116 minutes

Directed by: Peter Hyams

Starring: Roy Scheider, John Lithgow, Helen Mirren, Bob Balaban, Keir Dullea

From: MGM

Well, at least this wasn't terrible... 

A few weeks ago, I attended the Megacon convention in Orlando. The past few years, I devote a day to being at the comic-con and not only enjoying all the cosplay (only some of which I understand. It's usually the anime ones that leave me bumfuzzled) but seeing what the vendors have for sale. I don't wait in line to visit the celebrities they bring, even though they have always been big names... the past several years they included Stan Lee, Jason Momoa, Norman Reedus, and other individuals you know will get most comic-con attendees all hot and bothered.

However, this year I went and got a picture signed from both Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood; they were together and honestly, I felt bad as the few times I looked over, no one was ever at their table. Those two deserved better as they were key parts of a legendary film celebrating its 50th anniversary now. While many of their other credits are either random films even I know little about or guest starring on old TV shows, it was a shame they did not receive more visitors. I mainly talked to Dullea for a few minutes and the conversation was general and what you'd expect. I did not probe deep on any gossip or secrets about 2001 as who am I to do so? Keir did say seeing the movie on the big screen is the way to go; I doubt I'll be able to see the 70mm print doing the rounds but I can't get too mad as a few years ago I reviewed 2001 after seeing a digital projection of it theatrically... I feel fortunate getting to view a classic in such a big way.

Anyhow, I figured now was finally the time to view a motion picture that had the unenviable task of following up upon something both beloved and groundbreaking... a tremendous achievement still today, let alone the early 80's when Arthur C. Clarke wrote the novel then they decided to make it a film. As is, this is good but it's not a masterpiece like 2001 is. Heywood Floyd (who was played by William Sylvester in 2001, Roy Schieder here) goes into space... he and two other Americans (Bob Balaban and John Lithgow) have to work with the Soviets-including Helen Mirren-to try and figure out why the mission in the original film failed, and there's a rather blunt message about increasing tensions between the Americans and Russians-which sadly is now relevant again.

There's always a Catch-22 of sequels either trying to do their own thing or being a carbon copy of the first film; either will make people mad and in this case, 2010 does its own thing. It does suffer in comparison when 2001 revels in a majestic grandeur; taking its time telling the story and allowing the viewer to be swept away by the still-impressive visuals. 2010 is more a traditional movie and it is interesting, but the film does not rise above being good. The film is less mysterious and in fact tries to explain some of the questions posed by 2001 and I am not sure if that was needed. Plus, I am not quite sure if the event that closes the film would actually be a good thing for Earth... but maybe I am mistaken...

I do not regret seeing this although I am not sure if I'll ever revisit the film, even if I can rate it as good. At least it was not a dumpster fire as it could have been and to be blunt, if modern Hollywood tried making 2061: Odyssey Three and 3001: The Final Odyssey into films, it would be a disaster and make a lot of people upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment