Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Game Night



Runtime: 100 minutes

Directed by: John Francis Daley/Jonathan Goldstein

Starring: Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Kyle Chandler, Sharon Horgan, Billy Magnussen

From: New Line Cinema

Sadly, this did not change my dim view of modern comedies:

You know, I think that modern comedies have passed me by... Sunday night I watched something pretty heavy and complex (that review will be posted in a few hours) so last night I figured I should go with a comedy to lighten the mood. If only I had laughed more often...

I haven't completely rejected every famous one from the 21st century and there are some that I have been entertained by (to list examples, Superbad, The Hangover, Pineapple Express, and Tropic Thunder); yet there are plenty that I reject just from seeing their trailers; I realize it's a fallacy as I know Hollywood refuses to make actual good trailers anymore. The advertising for this did nothing to gain my interest. However, all the good buzz I've heard since February meant I should give it a chance.

As I've said before, comedy is such a subjective thing and my tastes there are different from most. I quickly realized this movie was all about being awkward, injecting random vulgar moments and seeing a bunch of unappealing characters. I did not laugh too often; instead I was usually annoyed. I shouldn't have been surprised that the people who directed this would have several needless gross out gags, as I understand their Vacation reboot (which they directed and wrote) was full of that crap.

Then there's the actual plot, which left me cold; it was ridiculous nonsense I was rarely entertained by, with some pretty stupid twists and an over-convoluted final act. It's a shame... as others have noted, they did try to set up jokes early on which would pay off later. If those payoffs would have actually made me laugh, then it would have been a success. Alas... even if this wasn't the “line-o-rama” comedy style in vogue now that I actively avoid, there still were only a few times that I chuckled. Even if I personally can't stand “ultra-competitive” people in such silly nonsense like games or sports or fantasy sports or anything on the same path... I did go into this with an open mind and I still could have liked the two leads despite that; unfortunately, I didn't.

I can admit the music was cool and the aesthetic between all the gaming motifs and how the film was shot was good. I just wish I could have been bowled over like everyone else was.

No comments:

Post a Comment