Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Special Cop In Action


Runtime: 97 minutes

Directed by: Marino Girolami

Starring: Maurizio Merli, Raymond Pellegrin, John Saxon, Mirella D'Angelo, Toni Ucci

From: New Film Production S.R.L.

I am glad I returned to this genre:

I realized recently that it has been WAY too long since I had seen a poliziotteschi for the first time; this was a situation I needed to fix right away, as the list I have of all the genre films I've seen is my most popular list. I figured I should go with this film as it is the last of three films that star Maurizio Merli did where he played Betti, the loosest of loose cannon cops. The other two films (Violent City-sometimes referred to as Violent Rome-and Violent Naples are better and crazier than this-the reviews I have for the two are short but they are pretty entertaining genre entries) were good times so it made sense to check this out.

Betti isn't as crazy as he was in the first two entries and the story is less episodic—there were still things I liked about this film where I can give it a nice rating. Basically, Betti believes that John Saxon (he was also in Violent Naples, albeit playing a different character) is behind both a string of bank robberies and the kidnapping of seven schoolchildren for ransom. That kidnapping happens only a few minutes in and you know the movie is going to be pretty harsh. A school bus is taken... or rather, a 70's passenger van being used as a school bus.

The movie at times strains credulity and there are misses along with hits when it comes to this trying to do some things different from genre norms. Yet I found this acceptable enough for my tastes. It's always nice seeing the likes of Merli and Saxon, after all... even if Saxon doesn't show up until about 45 minutes in. There are still car chases, shootouts, fistfights, etc. that are required for a poliziotteschi, not to mention a funky score. Another genre hallmark-sleaze-is also included, and that typically is “something gross happening to a woman.” The biggest moment there does end up becoming a plot point and isn't just gratuitous... not that I am defending this trope.

While there are better genre examples, that means this is not worthy of being watched for those that enjoy this films as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment