Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Room!

You likely know all the details by now.

Oh hai guys, yes, this is a film I've seen before, but that was a long while ago and last night was the first theatrical experience. Randomly, my local cinema (part of a pretty small chain) had two screenings of it last night; it was the same digital file that was shown by other chains late last year... it was an advertisement for The Disaster Artist as among other bonuses, Tommy Wiseau talked to James Franco twice in incredibly ungainly discourse. I used that specific term as the screening started a half hour late; a manager explained that it was a problem with the digital file they downloaded. As that place has had several problems in the past with starting movies on time... oh, and the place looking run-down after only 10 years are big reasons why I rarely go there despite its convenient location for me.

Anyhow, there were no footballs but someone did bring plastic spoons. It was decently attended and it was a good communal experience, everyone laughing at disbelief from all the perplexing moments; it was easy to hear which ones had never viewed it before as several times there were giant guffaws. By now I don't need to explain how the story is an American tragedy involving a few friends, or any of the subplots brought up only to be dismissed seconds later (a character almost being killed, or the whole breast cancer thing) or Wiseau's unconventional performance/highly unusual accent, or YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA! Even people who have never seen it in full at least knows those aspects.

The movie is as bad as its reputation. I have seen worse, and it has never made me mad like other half star catastrophes I have seen in my life. Watching it is a 5 star experience, especially with a crowd. However, it all is stupefying, and this is a crystal clear example of a piece of work better seen than described. It becoming a cult hit is quite the tale so I am not surprised someone brought it to the silver screen. While I am not unconvinced that Tommy Wiseau is some sort of character played by a performance artist, I guess it does ruin the illusion of him being this inept and creating something so cockeyed... not to mention his very weird demeanor. No matter the case, in this digital era it is quite the feat for most of Wiseau's life to still be a giant mystery; I will presume he has a different name on his birth certificate and such basic facts as his age, birthday and place of birth can only be guessed at and rumored.

There's so much more I could say-such as the incredibly passionless sex scenes-but instead I'll note that it took chutzpah and sheer determination by the insane star for people to even know about this trainwreck rather than being a grain of sand on the beach and imperceptible to practically everyone like other similar dreck has over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment