Sunday, February 11, 2018

Howard The Duck!

Howard the Duck (1986)

Runtime: 110 minutes

Directed by: Willard Hyuck

Starring: Lea Thompson as a HOT 80's rocker chick, Tim Robbins overacting as much as he could, Jeffrey Jones, all the actors who played Howard

From: Universal

To think that this was actually stranger than what I remembered as a kid, and I remembered it as being pretty odd. Yet I don't hate it like some do: 

Note that this viewing did not come because of one of the 70mm (!) screenings that have recently occurred. Regrettably it was the Alamo Drafthouse who put them on-I hope people heard the recent news about the gross behavior that they have allowed for years now-yet I imagine this revival screening would be quite the experience, especially with a sold-out crowd that is going quackers for the movie. I did see this more than once as a kid but the last viewing before last night had to be when I was still a kid, meaning “a long, long time ago.”

I remembered the movie was odd and as an adult I realized that Lea Thompson as an 80's rocker chick was greatly appealing (and it certainly was in the film) but wow was this strange. Howard coming from a world that is exactly like Earth except there are 3 foot tall ducks instead of humans brings up a number of questions but it's best to look at all the duck-related puns and not think much about it. Anyhow, there are jarring tonal shifts throughout, many odd bits, Howard sometimes talks like he's a detective in a 40's noir, a few performances are over the top-I am especially looking at Tim Robbins here-and it's just weird overall. I suppose that's what you get when I understand that the comic book character is existentialist and the stories are usually highly satirical. It seems like an odd fit for a movie which I have to assume was made both for kids and adults.

The most infamous aspect is the relationship between Howard and Beverly. One scene sticks out the most there, and it is rather incredible that they both flirt with each other and an interspecies romance is even teased, but she is comfortable around a 3 foot tall talking bipedal duck to be walking around her loft in just her underwear? Sure, I enjoyed the visual and yet it is one of For certain, this is not a rated PG movie by today's standards... the rating was quite different in the 1980's. There are even DUCK BOOBS in the beginning. Like I said, weird overall.

Yet the movie does have its merits. The gonzo story is never boring. Jeffrey Jones as a human being is certainly objectionable but as an actor, he delivered some quality performances and he did here with his original character and what he turned into. As George Lucas had his full support behind this, no surprise that the movie was nicely filmed and the special effects were top-notch for the time. There's a scene at a roadside diner that has several different effects and while if you look hard enough you can see a flub or two that reveals how it was done, all were compelling. It has to be said that comic book movies having overblown finales full of special effects, random stuff blowing up and huge end of the world stakes... that did not start in the 21st century. The stop-motion creature at the end was unforgettable.

While the movie has inexplicable moments such as Howard trying to get a job and ending up at a weird sex club, there are also those big dollar special effects and a great soundtrack. The score itself is fine but the soundtrack I really enjoyed. As it was done by Thomas Dolby, no surprise it's 80's-tastic, and that's a positive to me. The title song, dare I say it's legitimately great? I will, as it was co-written by both Dolby and George Clinton (!) and you hear Clinton on the album version of the track.

No surprise that something this daffy would fail upon release but have at least a small cult following. Those that complain (and from what I understand, there are strong arguments for this being the case) about Marvel movies “all being the same”, this is the polar opposite of that, even if it's to Howard the Duck's detriment. Those that find it fowl... I mean foul, I won't argue with their viewpoint. I am not even quite sure how to rate this, but I guess it's average as I mentioned many of the highlights & lowlights and I suppose they balance out to being average, even if this is a 180 from average meaning “typical”.

No comments:

Post a Comment