Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Love Witch

The Love Witch (2016)

Runtime: 120 minutes

Directed by: Anna Biller

Starring: Samantha Robinson, Gian Keys, Laura Waddell, Jeffrey Vincent Parise, Jared Sanford

From: Anna Biller Productions

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Yes, I did decide to watch this movie the night before Valentine's Day so I could talk about it on what is technically St. Valentine's Day... but I may sound like a tool saying that so let me continue. I have no good explanation for not seeing it sooner; there are now regrets that it took me this long to check it out, especially considering it's been on Prime for months and I've known about it since pretty much it was released.

While the movie is set in modern times, much of it has the retro vibe, inspired by the Technicolor movies of the 1960's (especially the horror flicks) and it's easy to forget the time period as you see all the colorful sets and costumes. Elaine is the titular witch, who is quite attractive... her appearance is part of the social commentary as she wishes to be valued for more than just her good looks. She makes potions to make men fall in love with her but it always goes wrong. They go wild as she does various sexy things yet in the end they are not able to handle it.

I haven't seen any of Anna Biller's other work... then again she's only done some shorts and this is her second feature film. I can say it is admirable how she not only wrote and directed, but produced, did at least some of the groovy score, was the editor, art/set director, made most of the costumes, and also production design. More so than typical, the successes and failures of the movie are on her shoulders. I believe the movie overall is a success. It may be a little overlong at 2 hours exactly but otherwise I can't carp too loudly. Ms. Biller set out to make a movie which is feminist and tackles such topics as the patriarchy and unfair standards women have to follow. I feel anyone can enjoy this but as a dumb man I can only assume the target audience will be most interested in the film's messages.

Samantha Robinson as the lead is not just a pretty lady who was made to look red-hot in the film; she was a smoldering presence, a true treasure as someone whose performance was hammy (as in the style this was aping) and it was note-perfect for the movie. The rest of the cast is fine and there are various interesting-looking people presumably cast for their appearance, but Robinson was the standout and as her role is so important I am glad they did not choose the wrong person to play Elaine. Naturally this won't be for all tastes, yet for me the movie works and is more than just a 60's gimmick.

No comments:

Post a Comment