Friday, February 23, 2018

Black Panther

Black Panther (2018)

97% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 335 reviews)

Runtime: 134 minutes

Directed by: Ryan Coogler

Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman

From: Marvel

Yes, I saw a comic book movie in theatres, and I don't regret the decision: 

In the past I've made it clear that unlike most other people, I don't actively seek out or watch the modern superhero/comic book movies as I just don't care for many of them which is why I haven't watched too many of them. It doesn't mean they are off the list for me so that is why in the past few years I've seen the two Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman. Besides the rave reviews, they work as stand-alone films so it's not like of The Avengers series where I need to see all the others beforehand. WW and GotG, I did not think were 5 star masterpieces but I still gave at least decent marks to them. All the hype surrounding Black Panther captured my attention, and what I had seen concerning all the work that went into costuming was appealing. Even people I know who usually don't go to the local cineplex saw the movie and “loved it”. Therefore, I went to an IMAX screening; it was a good decision as the screen expanded for certain scenes and there are gorgeous visuals throughout.

By now most people are familiar with the story and how it was obviously influenced by such work as Hamlet. Beforehand I thought it was typical comic book nonsense that the country of Wakanda was “hidden to the rest of the world.” In the movie it still is a little silly this was the case. Yet how that was presented... to a history nerd like me, I know all about various European powers pillaging and ravaging the continent for its resources and Wakanda would want to put up a facade to protect itself. Those Colonialist fears along with them being a peaceful nation and not wanting to make its great capabilities known as it would inevitably lead to combat (despite their weapons being enough to prevent black people from being oppressed) is the backbone of the film and I thought it was a fascinating thing as you could see both sides of the argument.

The humor moments usually did not work for me and there were a few silly comic book moments but otherwise I can give a nice rating. The story is not deeply complex yet I was still intrigued in the central conflict and the talented cast doing a nice job overall was a big asset. I have little knowledge of the character; I can say that as presented, it was easy to root for the titular Black Panther, thrust into the role of having to be the King of an entire country. He loves Wakanda so he is concerned for its citizens and trying to protect them.

As for the costumes the Wakandites (at least that's what I'll call them) wear, they are inspired by various peoples in Africa; I found online discourse about it. That includes the lip plates of the Surma and Mursi tribes of Ethiopia, Zulu headdresses, the guards' uniforms modeled after Maasai people of the middle eastern part of the continent, and Agbada robes, commonly worn all across Africa. I've seen some complain about how all the different influences are not “realistic”... and this is a film where the brilliant 16 year old scientist/Black Panther's sister can sit in Wakanda and simulate driving a car in Busan, South Korea... I'll instead tip my cap to those in production, such as costuming for using all those influences to give the rest of the world a general look at how some people in Africa dress, based on tradition.

This is still a comic book movie so the expected tropes are still present and if I watched more of those I imagine I'd feel this sticking to the same general formula to be tiresome and old hat by now. But as I don't, I can enjoy this for what it was and I am glad the black audience finally got a movie they've been wanting to see for years now. The idea of seeing a heroic movie set in Africa and starring African characters is sadly alien, so no wonder this has resonated with so many. I guess I shouldn't complain about the delay as Ryan Coogler did a bang-up job here and anyone can be a fan of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment