Sunday, June 11, 2017

Soylent Green

Soylent Green (1973)

Runtime: 97 minutes

Directed by: Richard Fleischer

Starring: Charlton Heston, Leigh Taylor-Young, Edward G. Robinson, Chuck Connors, Brock Peters

From: MGM

Man, what a bleak movie this is... and as a kid I learned what the shocking twist of this movie was. At least I can still say it's good, as I explain below: 

This was a random watch last night; I figured I should see something different, a film that I had never seen before. Now, I don't know about “this generation”, but in the past, the big mystery of what Soylent Green was (it is food made in the dystopian future this movie is set in) was more well-known and while not ideal, I had heard many years ago the big M Night-like plot twist this film has. I won't reveal it for those that don't know already.

This is a combination police procedural and sci-fi picture; Charlton Heston is Frank Thorn, a police detective who has the misfortune of living in New York City, 2022... it has been a common theme in science fiction for decades now but the world of the future is pretty miserable due to people of the current era F'ing up the environment; in this case, it was because of pollution. The greenhouse effect has taken place-in the daytime, there's a constant haze in the air-and thus for most people the world sucks. It's hot all the time, resources are depleted, most food is processed foodstuffs such as wafers (made by the ubiquitous Soylent Corporation) and such things as running water and paper are unobtainable luxuries for all but only a tiny segment of rich people in an otherwise overcrowded hellhole New York City, where this is set. Not that such a fate could possibly strike us in our 2022, only a few years away...


(looks into camera like I am in The Office)

Anyhow, Thorn investigates the murder of Simonson (Joseph Cotten), a very wealthy man who is connected with Soylent. It ends up being a paranoid conspiracy thriller thing as the murder is tied to something pretty big. Thorn is occasionally helped by a wise old friend he has, Sol Roth (Edward G. Robinson in his last film role; he died mere days after filming ended) and there's also Shirl (Leigh Taylor-Young), Simonson's concubine. Thorn takes a shine to her, which is understandable as she lives in nice digs and also, there is her appearance...

I was amused at how gruff Frank acted throughout. It is understandable considering the state of that world but he happily steals items from rich people, drinks their drinks, takes a puff from their cigarettes... like I said, I was amused. I especially laughed at a “Well, THAT escalated quickly” moment involving Thorn. I was glad I could laugh at that or especially “The Scoops” because otherwise this was a bleak movie to watch. Seeing all those people live in such bad conditions did make me feel sad, and knowing that in our 2017, the world has plenty of problems, from the environment being screwed up to The Other 98% to everything else; this is not as far-fetched as it was back in 1973. Then, there's how Robinson had terminal cancer yet he was able to hide it and no one else knew. It was a nice performance from him, although his last scene ended up being sadder than what was planned.

I can say there was nice world-building that happened; you were able to see just how bad things were. The few times you got to see the 2% of this universe, it was the typical groovy 70's view of how the future would be, which is something I am always charmed by. Otherwise, it was like a terrible version of the early 70's, which is understandable if things suddenly went to hell. This film does not rise about being good and there is definitely 1970's sexism present. Yet, I can still say that this is good and I am glad I finally saw this... even if I did feel a little depressed afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment