Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Who's Harry Crumb?

Who's Harry Crumb? (1989)

Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: Paul Flaherty

Starring: John Candy, Jeffrey Jones, Annie Potts, Tim Thomerson, Shawnee Smith

From: Tri-Star... and somehow, NBC

I realize this is a random movie to watch, but as I explain below, there was a reason why: 

I realize this is a really random movie to review but it was inspired by a messageboard discussion, as sometimes happens. Someone mentioned that they saw this movie as a kid and enjoyed it... but when they saw it for the first time in years in presenting it to their children, they suddenly realized that the movie had more sexual humor and moments that must have went over their head as a kid. Then again, the same goes for me; I only saw this once as a kid (it had to be at least 25 years ago) and even then I wasn't a big fan. Seeing it again, it's not awful but it's not good either. By the way, it does have its fair share of sexual humor and moments.

The title of the movie is uttered quite early, and you find out that Harry Crumb is John Candy, descended from a line of great private detectives... but aside from some rare brilliant moments, he's a stumbling, bumbling buffoon. There is a reason why he was chosen in particular to investigate the kidnapping of a young rich woman. He's usually assisted by the young rich woman's sister... Saw fans, you'll be happy to hear that the teenager who assisted Crumb was a 19 year old Shawnee Smith.

I can't say I didn't laugh at times and there are plenty of pratfalls from Candy; that said, the movie is usually stupid and not as funny nor clever as it thinks it is. It's a shame as it could have at least been fine with its plot involving some stock characters (the ignored sister, the gold-digging trampy woman, the dumb tennis pro, etc.) and the star being someone who I still think is awesome; I am a kid of the 1980's and 1990's so of course I've seen plenty of John Candy's films and I'll always have fond memories of him. Here, there are only a few funny one-liners from him; sure, there's some slapstick but there's also him trying to be like Fletch and sometimes dressing up in wacky costumes... the one you definitely wouldn't see in most movies made today was him putting brown shoe polish & a fake beard on his face and playing an Indian, as in from India... it's as stereotypical as you'd expect.

I know that there are plenty of Candy's other films I'd watch or watch again before ever giving this a third viewing. I guess I can say it has a wacky late 80's jazz-pop soundtrack, including a closing credits title song from THE TEMPTATIONS... not the highlight of a legendary group's career when they've done tunes like Papa Was a Rollin' Stone, My Girl, and I Can't Get Next To You. Also, I did not remember that Lyle Alzado appears in one scene, and totally randomly James Belushi shows up for like 15 seconds, and as you see him reading an issue of Variety magazine, I'll presume it was James Belushi playing himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment