Tuesday, December 13, 2016

It's A Wonderful Life

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

Runtime: 130 minutes

Directed by: Frank Capra

Starring: James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell, Henry Travers

From: Liberty Films

Yep, this is something I have seen before, but the last time was many years ago. A familiar refrain from me, I know. Thankfully I got to see this last night. It's still great. I talk all about it below: 

Yet again this is a case where I had seen a movie before but the last viewing was a long time ago. To show how old I am (35 years old as of now) I watched this on TV more than once back when the film was still in public domain and thus it was on TV all the time during the holiday season, in various edits and either in black and white or colorized. I imagine I saw it on VHS in the day and yet I am not sure of the last time I checked it out from beginning to end, except it was figuratively when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

Everyone knows the plot by now so I won't dwell on mentioning the specifics. Things aren't complex and yet it's perfect for this movie and its message. George Bailey is a likable “everyman” who has big dreams (he figuratively wishes he could lasso the moon) but because of circumstances and a really horrible skinflint penny-pinching rich antagonist named Mr. Potter (I had forgotten just how awful this dude was. Sad to say, I realize that there's always been rotten persons like this around so he isn't too much of a caricature), he's had to give up his dreams to try and help everyone else in his pastoral town of Bedford Falls. Everyone can feel overwhelmed by circumstances or feel down in the dumps because they think that they are facing insurmountable odds or think that no one cares about them. If only everyone had a simple yet kind-hearted guardian angel named Clarence.

Even 70 years later the main message of the film is important and something that we should all remember. Sure, it's been parodied to death by now but that doesn't lessen its impact. No matter what you may think or realize, everyone has a connection with numerous people throughout their lives and they would all be crushed if you decided to take your own life. That is a critical thing to remember during this holiday season, when many are feeling more depressed anyhow. I am thankful that this movie can charm and inspire even all these years later. A captivating story plus great performances from everyone (especially Jimmy Stewart), and a real tearjerker ending... if someone you have never seen this before, this is a mistake I say you need to fix right away. Even the biggest grinch should enjoy this.

I have been busy as of late and thus this is the first review I've posted in a few days. It may not be until Friday evening that I review another film. But this was something I felt like I had to see last night and I am definitely glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment