Sunday, September 18, 2016

Thriller: A Cruel Picture

Thriller: A Cruel Picture (Thriller: En Grym Film) (1973)

Runtime: I saw the version that was 107 minutes long

Directed by: Bo Arne Vibenius

Starring: The ravishing Christina Lindberg, Heinz Hopf, Despina Tomazani, Per-Axel Arosenius

From: BAV Film

I finally saw this infamous Swedish cult film. It is pretty outrageous and over the top, yet for what it was, I enjoyed it. And no, not for the sexual elements, although I think that Christina Lindberg was very pretty in the early 1970's. I explain it all below via my Letterboxd review: 

Note: Don't ask how but I managed to see the uncut version of this, meaning that it included the inserts of-ahem-close-ups of hardcore penetration done with people who aren't the actors in this movie and also the scene where Christina Lindberg gets stabbed in the eye. The former was not needed and due to my phobias I looked away during the latter so really, the version on Amazon available for streaming that has these moments taken out... it's not too big a deal here to see something that's edited. I saw the uncut version for... “artistic integrity”, yeah that's it...

I usually do not talk here about the type of women I find to be attractive. I've only made a few mild hints throughout the years. I will just say that ladies who look like Christina Lindberg did in the early 70's I find to be quite appealing; I mean the big dark eyes and the darker hair, not the fact that she often posed nude! I have seen pictures of her before and a few trailers for her movies but this is the first time I have seen one of her films from beginning to end. Someone on a messageboard brought it up a few days ago and I figured this should be the one to see... it has proven to be influential; the example people will know the most is this was the inspiration for Elle Driver in the Kill Bill movies.

As for this movie, “over the top” is the best descriptor to use. Let's see what happens to Christina Lindberg's character Frigga...

* As a young girl she is raped and becomes a mute from the experience
* She is kidnapped by a guy I'll refer to as Swedish Alan Rickman
* SAR gets her hooked on heroin so she is forced to work for him as a prostitute
* Something real bad happens to both her parents
* She is stabbed in the eye; thus, that's why this movie is sometimes known as They Call Her One Eye or Thriller: They Call Her One Eye

Finally, she has had enough and from the money she's earned, she learns “the martial arts”, learns how to shoot, and learns how to drive a car. From there she gets glorious, glorious revenge and it's all great. A lot of it is in super slow motion and that is pretty neat to see.

Technically, it is easy to nitpick this movie and all the mistakes it makes when it comes to such things as plotting and logic. There are also some moments which I don't think were supposed to be unintentionally hilarious (don't worry, it's none of the abusive stuff that made me chuckle) but that's how they came off. The death at the very end seems like something from a Saw movie. Yet, this is perversely entertaining, and no I am not saying this for all the sex stuff this has. Like I said, seeing Frigga get pushed way too far then snapping and laying waste to all those A-holes (and even some innocent parties), it's grand entertainment. Even with the wonky story, I can say that this was well-made. Much of the action being in super slow motion makes it stand out, and the sound is aces. There are interesting sound effects as you see the villains get killed, and the soundtrack is odd yet oddly fitting.

I understand why this isn't for everyone. It's exploitation after all, the story does not hold up at all to any kind of scrutiny and the first half of this sleaze is rough as we see all those bad things happen to a young girl. Yet, despite its faults and lurid subject matter, this was something I can give a decent rating to. And yes, I was happy to finally see Christina Lindberg in a film, as she looked quite ravishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment