Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Next of Kin



Runtime: 108 minutes

Directed by: John Irving

Starring: Patrick Swayze, Liam Neeson, Adam Baldwin, Helen Hunt

From: Lorimar

Here is something that I found on Blu-Ray in a local Wal-Mart and I picked it up for someone I know; I remembered they enjoyed the movie and only had it on VHS. I figured they were due for an upgrade. I decided to check this out as it features the famous faces I listed above plus others (such as-no kidding-Ben Stiller, Ted Levine, and Bill Paxton) and I remember seeing parts of it way back when, as a kid.

The plot is that Truman Gates (Swayze) is a Chicago cop who is from rural Kentucky and most of the rest of his family has remained there. There's his brother Briar (Neeson; yes, Liam plays a redneck and it is as tremendous as it sounds) and the other brother Gerald (Paxton), who has to work in Chicago for the time being. A member of the mob (Baldwin) guns down Gerald and kills him. Briar gets pissed so he gets mad at Truman (well, even more mad as he was already ticked at him for leaving Kentucky) and vows to go into Chi-Town to dish out his own brand of justice. You can just imagine what Truman's wife (Hunt!) thinks of such a thing.

The movie isn't as tremendous as it sounds. I mean, with the cast and the plot it could have been pretty darn awesome. As is, it is still entertaining as long as your expectations aren't too high. It's more of a drama-thriller than an action movie as most of that you see in the memorable ending. There was one aspect of that ending which I clearly remembered from seeing it so many years ago; if you're familiar with the film you can probably guess what I'm referring to.

One nice thing about the movie is that it portrays the rural types real fairly. You know, they aren't ignorant bumpkins or even worse, the evil mountain men from Deliverance. Instead, they're real people, simple folk but still real people. You have some scenes in Kentucky and the country scenery looks quite scenic.

Anyhow, like I said if you watch this cheesy late 80's programming with tempered expectations, then you should enjoy this product of the times, where you see Swayze drive a late 80's grey Camaro... and interestingly, for the longest time the stereotype is that only white trash with mullets drive those vehicles after they became popular.

I'll be back Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment