Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lawless




Runtime: 115 minutes

Directed by: John Hillcoat

Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Guy Pearce, Jessica Chastain, Gary Oldman

From: The Weinstein Company

Here is a movie that I had only first heard of earlier in the month, when they were heavily advertised on a UFC pay per view. I then looked into it and I was interested by the whole deal; it was based on a book known as The Wettest County in the World, by Matt Bondurant, based on the exploits his old relatives had in rural Virginia in the 1930's running moonshine and dealing with their enemies. As an independent production they unfortunately ran into money issues. It took Shia's involvement to get the project made.

I already explained the basic plot of the story. It follows a trio of brothers, Jack (Shia), Forrest (Hardy), and Howard (Jason Clarke) as they run a moonshine operation in rural Virginia in the early 1930's. In fact, let me steal the plot given on IMDb:

“The three Bondurant brothers run a bootlegging operation during the depression, up in the mountains of Franklin County, Virginia. Crooked Special Deputy Charles Rakes (Pearce) is after a share of the brothers' profits. Compounding their troubles, the local competition is elbowing in on their activities. Forrest's boisterous defiance and Cricket's (Dane DeHaan) knack for moonshine production help the brothers gain a local monopoly. When Forrest is wounded as tension with Rakes escalates, Jack, initially the timid one, must prove his worth against gangster Floyd Banner's (Oldman) mob, and we see him metamorphose into a cocky exhibitionist in his attempts to woo the off-limits preacher's daughter, Bertha. (Mia Wasikowska)”

Yep, that sums it up pretty well.

This movie has gotten a mixed reaction. I mean, many critics enjoyed it but many others also were disappointed by it. I'll say that while this doesn't reach the heights that it could have given the plot and the quality cast assembled, I still managed to quite enjoy it. It's a pulpy tale where you see various colorful characters interact in a cool setting and while it's mainly dramatic, when you get outbursts of violence, it's quite intense. I mean, there's Tommy guns, knifes, brass knuckles, and other implements of destruction and when they're used, the results are real bloody. I mean, this film doesn't mess around when it comes to the violence.

Pearce's villain role is rather interesting. He just acts peculiar. He sticks out from the backwoods folks in Virginia in a drastic way. I mean, it's implied by subtle and not so subtle clues that he's a homosexual, but there's more to it than that and it's unexplained why he's so odd. It's quite the performance from him; Hardy as the seemingly indestructible Forrest also delivered a fine performance. He manages to deliver a good old boy accent quite well for an Englishman. Even Shia's performance was unobjectionable to me and usually I'm “meh” towards him. Really, I have no complaints with the cast. And for you horndogs there is some female nudity present also.

I also have to mention that while Oldman's role isn't too large, he does look AND sound eerily like Charles Bronson. No kidding. I have no idea how much of the story told in the book is entirely truthful (let alone it getting adapted to the screen) but what I saw was wildly entertaining. Mr. LaBeouf is a rather odd character in real life; that said, I do have to say it is ballsy on his part to at least say he is going to leave the big studio world and only do moveis in the independent world. Will he stick with that... who knows.

I'll be back Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment