Thursday, September 1, 2011

Scarface

Scarface (1983)

Runtime: 170 minutes

Directed by: Brian De Palma

Starring: Al Pacino, Steven Bauer, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Loggia

From: Universal


Here’s one of the most famous movies of the 80’s, which I finally got to see on the big screen last night due to a one night only thing across the country from Fathom Events. I first saw this movie on VHS tape; I only saw the first part of it freshman year of college 10 years ago. I saw it in full that summer, and I became one of the many people who enjoy the film.

Sure, it’s filled with many excesses (just like the 80’s) and it is rather long, but I always found it to be entertaining despite the main figure being an anti-hero at best.I won’t get into the plot of the movie as you all know by now the rise and downfall of Tony Montana (Pacino delivering a bravura performance) so I’ll instead say that I am glad I got to see it in a movie theatre-this was done as the movie is coming out on Blu-Ray this upcoming Tuesday-and instead of watching it in the Orlando-area, I drove down to Lakeland to watch it at the Cobb Theatres Lakeside 18 for the first time; it was a pretty nice place and I wouldn’t mind going there again in the future. Even better was that the crowd wasn’t as “rough” as I expected and they didn’t act as stupid as I had feared either.

The movie looked and sounded great on the big screen. It sure as heck beat the VHS I watched back in the day. I was able to enjoy the scenic South Florida location (the South Beach of then was pretty poor compared to what it is now) and the quality 80’s-riffic score by Giorgio Moroder too.

As it was the first time in a long while I saw the movie in full, I was able to fully appreciate it; it’s just an entertaining and engrossing story and the performances are nice too, so no wonder it’s become so beloved, even if undesirable types tend to enjoy it (gangbangers and thugs and whatnot) and they seem to only pay attention to Tony Montana’s rise to the top and ignore his downfall. People should also follow the advice of not getting high off of your own supply. I enjoy the movie due to how entertaining it is and not because it has elements that appeal to the ruffians and cads of the world.

I’ll be back Tuesday night, as I don’t want to do any work on this on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment