Monday, March 14, 2011

Yet Another Night Of Randomness

I’ll quickly mention two films I saw recently and also plug a store to get cheap movies that I hadn’t even heard of before until a few weeks ago. It will stand in for my usual review of a film.

First, MovieStop. It’s related to GameStop. There, they have a huge variety of DVD’s and Blu-Rays available, both new and used. In the past few weeks I’ve gotten a decent number of DVD’s there, including stuff hard to find for purchase anywhere else, like the Briana Evigan-starring Burning Bright, and even something long out of print, which is the original 1998 Criterion DVD version of Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai. Sure, it was released again in later years, but to stumble upon something that was out of print for years and I only had to pay a little less than 20 dollars for it… what a hell of a steal.

The first movie I saw recently was (500) Days of Summer. Yes, I did rent it because I knew that Minka Kelly had a brief role in it, and the movie seemed to be highly rated. Well, I couldn’t even finish it! It was a “quirky indy comedy”, and I’m rarely a fan of those. That’s why I’ve never seen Garden State. When real early on I see the main guy demonstrate that he’s in a bad mood by slowly breaking the dishes in his kitchen… no, just no. Sure, some interesting ideas were there in the way it was presented (except for the fact that the chronology was jumbled… because Tarantino did it first, I guess) or that it was filled with music I didn’t care about (because Tarantino did it first, I guess… although with him I usually like the music he picks), but overall I did not like a lot of what I saw at all. I did end up seeing the last scene, as I had it accidentally spoiled awhile back; plus, I got to see who I wanted to see. Yep, she looked nice but even that made me mad, as she revealed what her name was… not to give anything away, but the movie has the title it does as the lead guy dates a girl named Summer for 500 days. Well, Ms. Kelly’s character’s name is Autumn! What an insult. If you want a quirky romantic comedy with odd touches with it that’s actually good, stick with Annie Hall.

The second movie I saw recently was The Thaw. Basically, it was similar in a few ways to The Thing, except that, you know, The Thing is actually good… no wait, it’s a great film. This, however, instead ended up being a preachy film (that can be a problem) about global warming (that’s always a problem with me, personally) where characters end up doing really stupid things just because the script told them to do so when a few words could have solved some of their problems. Mainly, I saw it not because I wanted to see Val Kilmer sleepwalk through another role but rather because the girl I’ll probably always refer to as Becca from Superbad (i.e. Martha Macisaac) was in it too. Sure, it has some decent moments and a male character apparently got infected in his Johnson, but otherwise this is not a film you should ever check out; just stupid with The Thing instead.

I’ll be back Wednesday and this time it’ll be an actual review, and it’ll likely be of an actual classic film.

No comments:

Post a Comment