Saturday, April 10, 2010

Red Letter Media’s Star Wars Reviews

I’ll do something different now. Instead of talking about a movie I’ve seen, I’ll plug a pair of extensive reviews of movies that the people behind the website are a part of, and you can see (and download, if you know how to or want to) via the wonders of YouTube. It is Red Letter Media’s reviews of the first two episodes in the Star Wars saga known as The Phantom Menace (clocking in at around 70 minutes) and Attack of the Clones, at 90 minutes. You can look at Part 1 of both reviews here and here.

Now, I haven’t seen any of the prequel movies in years, but even back then I recognized that Episode 1 and Episode 2 weren’t too good. Episode 3 was better rated by me… it’s not in the league of the original movies, though. These reviews of Episodes 1 and 2 do an excellent job of explaining just what is wrong with the movies; in short, the story is awful and makes no sense, and is not engaging at all. The way it’s explained, though, makes it a high recommendation.

And, that’s even with some things that would normally really turn me off. For example, it’s narrated by a guy with a droll monotone bizarre-sounding voice that I know is off-putting to some and at first it started to turn me off. But, I stuck with it and it’s hilarious stuff. Stuff gets broken down in a meticulous way, and it’s great comedy mixed with great points. However, one thing I do have to fast-forward/ignore is some of the most off-beat humor aspects, which is the point that the guy is apparently a serial killer! No kidding. You see girls tied up and about to be killed, and a lot of people online seem to find that to be a knee-slapper. But, they’re the cretin Troglodyte type who likes worthless garbage such as Bubba the Love Sponge or Howard Stern… let me get back on topic. If you ignore that stuff (in the Episode 1 review, most of the dumb stuff is done after around Part 2 or so of the 7 part upload; in Episode 2, most of it is at the last minute or two of each part.

So, if you’ve seen those movies and disliked them but weren’t quite sure as to why you disliked them so much, this is perfect for you, as it accurately* describes the biggest failures of the first three episodes. I'll be back Sunday night with a new review.

• I point that out, as in the Episode 2 review, the character of Jango Fett (Boba's dad) is always referred to as Bobo. I know that was done on purpose to state how it was a blatant attempt at making the fanboys happy by basically having the same character as in the original trilogy, but saying that it's his dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment