Sunday, January 21, 2024

Cinderella

Cinderella (1950)

Runtime: 74 minutes

Directed by: Clyde Geronimi/Wilfred Jackson/Hamilton Luske

Starring: Some talented voice artists

From: Disney

This wasn’t my first selection for Saturday night viewing (what I chose on the Criterion Channel was allegedly in 1080p but was incredibly blurry; if I ever find a better copy elsewhere, I’ll say then what it was); deciding to use Disney+ to check out a film for the first time since childhood was a swell idea.

I can’t definitely state that everyone reading this will know the Cinderella story; however, that presumption will be made. It was likely a wise decision to include various animals in this tale where we see grotesque teenage girls and an even uglier stepmother abuse poor innocent “Cinderelly”; the levity of them being surprisingly good seamstresses and tormenting a buffoon cat known as LUCIFER (there’s one of many memories that become wisps in my mind long ago) does help. Their slang also tickled me pink. I did not recall how much screentime they had, but the balance just seemed right to me. When I mentioned “the Cinderella story” I was referring to sanitized versions like this rather than what I understand the original folk tale is—the main change I memorized from hearsay was that the two stepsisters attempt to mutilate their feet so it could fit the glass slipper!

This was simply a pleasant experience. What stunning animation that looks especially satisfying in a 4K/Dolby Vision stream where I’ve seen photographic evidence that it fixes a totally botched Blu-ray presentation from long ago. The music from Oliver Wallace and Paul Smith is perhaps even better; the strongest memories I had were of those songs. It was easy to root for the heroes and hiss as the villains; no surprise to me that this was a box office hit which saved Disney from financial trouble at the time. They could use one of those in 2024…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment