Thursday, July 13, 2023

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

96% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 290 reviews)

Runtime: 163 minutes, although it didn't feel that long

Directed by: Christopher McQuarrie

Starring: Tom Cruise and the expected faces you saw in the last few films, and also Hayley Atwell, Esai Moraes, a name from the first movie returning, and another known actor whose presence beforehand was unknown to me so I won't spoil it here

From: Paramount/Skydance

There was no review from me yesterday as Tuesday night was a revisit of the third Mission: Impossible. That was only done because it was something long forgotten in the 8 years since viewing. That'd be because despite Philip Seymour Hoffman it is an incredible forgettable motion picture. Thank heavens this new movie is NOT that.

 I swooned over Hayley At... the movie, I mean, the movie!

Even if I don't love every film in this franchise, it is one where the last few entries are ones that I've really enjoyed. Perhaps it is how Hollywood has become notably worse since the original came out in '96 but the films feel quite refreshing now in a sea of bland, corporate, safe, hackneyed pictures that I feel are most blockbusters for who knows how many years now. I even have a list where anyone can read those reviews of the franchise in order. Tom Cruise as a human being I don't love due to the whole Scientology thing; Tom Cruise as a movie star-on the other hand-is someone I've really enjoyed in recent times due to his star power and the decision on his part to do risky, literally death-defying stunts.

Fallout was a movie I loved, more for the incredible action scenes than the story. My expectations were sky-high for Dead Reckoning Part One and from the rating attached to this, it was also a movie I loved... for different reasons. The action scenes in DRPO aren't as grand although that is an almost impossible hurdle to jump over & what was presented still thrilled me. However, the story here was the best & most engaging of the entire franchise. What the “big bad” even is was never revealed in the trailers so I won't do so here, nor will I mention the famous face that unexpectedly had a supporting role. What I WILL say is that the plot does feel quite relevant, especially more so since they filmed this awhile back.

As for the new faces here, Hayley Atwell left the biggest impression. Before anyone broaches the subject, yes in terms of appearances she definitely is “my type”. Yet, I hadn't actually seen her in anything, due to my lack of interest in comic book properties. Her character (Grace) was a breath of fresh air as she wasn't insufferable as unfortunately too many women characters are written this day, and Atwell delivered with her performance; her interacting with the rest of the cast was a sheer delight. To be fair, I shouldn't downplay the rest of the women in the main cast. Rebecca Ferguson, Vanessa Kirby and Pom Klementieff all deserve credit for their roles & performances.

The cast as a whole is solid; I will mention Esai Moraes as a heel, along with the presence of at least one “that guy” actor. The IMF team all get something to do even if not everyone had a plentiful amount of screentime. Yeah, this is 163 minutes and while it did not feel THAT long to me I know not everyone will be a fan of the length. Me, there's only a bit of humor and even that felt shoehorned in at least once or twice. “Deus Ex Machina” is a thing that happens, furthermore. That duly noted, despite me hearing some carping about the film and that may be noticed the second time around (I do plan on checking out the movie again, like the first time on a giant screen) but unless my opinion drastically changes, there won't be a second review posted.

I am aware that when I do check out modern content, it often left me disappointed compared to my expectations and what the general consensus felt. Maybe I'm swooning over the movie harder than is necessary yet this was SO refreshing just compared to the drivel I've witnessed theatrically in the past month... The Flash did not get a below-average grade just because of ONE emotional scene working for me (otherwise, that movie really squandered its potential) and the new Indiana Jones just left me sad, even if a big risk was taken in the final act. My lack of disappointing for DRPO is a reason for me to love, along with the lack of bad modern movie tropes, including some oddly specific to 2023 films. Already, some don't like one decision made but purely from a narrative standpoint, I do appreciate that choice.

Ultimately, it will feel like a long year before Part Two is released. Expectations will also be sky high; even if that isn't another 5 star experience, there may hardly any other great theatrical viewings between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment