Thursday, March 11, 2021

Extraction

Extraction (2019)

Runtime: 116 minutes

Directed by: Sam Hargrave

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Rudhraksh Jaiswal, Randeep Hooda, Golshifteh Farahani, David Harbour

From: Netflix

At least this wasn't Cherry.

I did not see this movie when it first dropped on a service that I only sign up for once in awhile; much of their lineup doesn't appeal to me and their interface becomes worse and worse each time. The fact that on my new 4K TV that is the only app which is sluggish... but I want to see a few foreign efforts on there this month and as my TV is able to use Netflix's Dolby Vision capabilities, that is why I'm signed up.... and recent messageboard/other site praise is why I finally gave this a shot. I know why many did not love this but at least it delivered on the R-rated action and did look nice in Dolby Vision.

TYLER RAKE (judging from how Cherry is apparently an appalling disaster, the Russo Brothers must have been the ones to name this character) is a mercenary who is tasked to rescue an Indian drug lord's son from a rival drug lord in Bangladesh but of course he is conflicted about his life and some of his past behaviors. It is not the most original story and the characters are not in-depth creations. Yet that was what I expected and the action scenes-which were plentiful-did satisfy with all the carnage & people getting wrecked. I did laugh that one scene had Rake literally shoving children down, but only because they actually wanted to kill him. Now, the complaint concerning how India and Bangladesh were tinted yellow and the recent phenomenon of those that aren't film fans noticing how certain foreign locations have that look and suspect it has nothing to do with portraying the warm temperatures of said location... I won't comment on that except to say that is a valid discussion and it's something I've noticed for years now and just have never mentioned in public before.

Anyhow, I can't complain about the cast as a whole-they were fine w/ the material they were given. Hemsworth, Golshifteh Farahani and David Harbour in his small role were the highlights. It gave me enough entertainment where I can say it was pretty good even with its faults and cliché plot points. It was nice to see the India and Bangladesh settings; I know there have been complaints over how both countries are portrayed; that's another thorny issue I would rather not dive in... but from that same messageboard, someone who would know about such things says that life in the latter's capital city of Dhaka is unfortunately as dangerous and corrupt as portrayed in Extraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment