Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Nobody

Nobody (2021)

Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Ilya Naishuller

Starring: Bob Odenkirk, Aleksey Serebryakov, Connie Nielsen, Christopher Lloyd, and some names which were surprises to me when I saw the opening credits, so I won't spoil it for those that don't know either

From: Universal

This was pretty much what you'd expect from the director of Hardcore Henry and one of the writers of John Wick. As typical, a modern trailer did not sell me completely on a film. Yet, I hadn't been to a cinema in 2 ½ months and last night I had no other plans so I gave the movie a shot-turns out, I should have expected the nutty moments (although it is not as bizarre as Henry by any means) and graphic violent moments.

Bob Odenkirk plays the hilariously named Hutch Mansell, a former badass who settles down into a drab suburban life. However, circumstances happen and the old Hutch returns; considering the director's Russian, no surprise that this is the nationality of the main villains. Thankfully the action was not first person like Henry, thus it was shot cleanly and never became nauseating. There are chuckles along the way in between all the graphic bloody violence and dozens of dudes getting wrecked. You do have to wait a bit to see the action-that said, this first setpiece was a delight and a nice cathartic release as Hutch finally starts kicking ass.

Like with Hardcore, at times the movie tries hard... perhaps too hard at times. It was still an amusing good time that many action fans should enjoy. Me, I enjoyed the surprisingly eclectic soundtrack. Some of the tunes were of the type that my (late) mom would have listened to, but others were definitely in my wheelhouse; furthermore, at times those songs are used in unexpected ways. At least at my screening, this pleased the audience; I mean, there was applause when the end credits began! While initially a surprise, the idea that those people may not have been to the cinema in months and were just happy to see something they enjoyed in a theatrical setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment