Saturday, October 31, 2020

Happy Halloween!

Hopefully everyone had a nice day today despite it being different from the rest. This wasn't the plan but the only thing I have watched or will watch for the day... a 1933 Betty Boop cartoon called Betty Boop's Hallowe'en Party. The review of it is below, along w/ a link to the video on YouTube:

While this was not how I was expecting to end this spooky season of movie-watching, I have felt listless the past few days and waking up to a famous actor's death means that I only feel like checking out then reviewing a 6 1/2 minute cartoon. At least it is perfect for today and also remind me that I should view more Max Fleischer cartoons; I've only seen a few in my life and they're right up my alley between the old jazz music and its wonky style. Besides, Betty Boop is still a famous cartoon character in 2020, a caricature of a Jazz Age flapper of a century prior, and before the Hays Code became a thing, she was a sexual character who-in other cartoons-was lusted after and some even wanted to take her virginity away!

This party does not get that wild (and it's not the craziest Fleischer cartoon by any means) but it's still a fun time... not to mention, this year it does make me a little wistful to the time when people could officially have Halloween get-togethers. Turns out, there ain't no party like a Betty Boop party, because a Betty Boop party won't even stop if a mean old gorilla shows up uninvited... hopefully there is zero subtext to that character. Various spirits show up to drive him away, one of many examples in the cartoon of various Halloween accoutrements showing up: pumpkins, a scarecrow, a dark windy night, bobbing for apples, etc. The quality animation and nice jazz score (including Betty singing a tune) meant this was a pleasant diversion, even if only for a brief bit.

The rest of the day I'll revisit various things, none of which I'll talk about here; hopefully everyone has a nice day today, even if this year has been a real horrorshow for everyone.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment