Saturday, July 27, 2019

The Hitcher


Runtime: 98 minutes

Directed by: Robert Harmon

Starring: C. Thomas Howell, Rutger Hauer (RIP), Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jeffrey DeMunn, John M. Jackson

From: HBO Pictures/Silver Screen Partners

By late Saturday night I'll catch up with what I've posted on Letterboxd; for now here is me praising an actor who unfortunately passed away last weekend: 

Naturally I wanted to view something featuring Rutger Hauer as a way to tip my cap to the late actor. It had to be something from him I hadn't reviewed here so far and as great as Blade Runner is, I am happy with my review for it so I don't need to see it right now even if that is his most famous and most heralded performance. Instead, I found this, another role that has been highly praised throughout the years. I've never seen the 2007 remake but I understand it's quite bad... although back in the day I heard a hilarious podcast episode where one of the participants said the movie was more like an uncredited remake of The Terminator and with the evidence he presented, that was not the worst theory; that also says a lot about what must have been a hack, unoriginal story that could not improve the great tale told here.

The plot is simple: C. Thomas Howell is driving a vehicle cross-country and picks up a hitchhiker. Unfortunately for him, it is a psychotic Hauer and not only has he killed, but he has a diabolical scheme to make Howell's life a living hell. C escapes, only to be framed for the title character's crimes, and this is quite the downbeat movie so a LOT of bad things happen to our protagonist.

I would say that the events of this movie are rather preposterous and not that believable how things turned out... unless The Hitcher was supernatural, something not of our world but instead Beelzebub or a similar creature. That said, a mutual devised an It Follows sort of theory concerning the plot and unlike me there are distinct clues presented which add credence to the theory. No matter the “truth” about the film, it is rather bleak and frightening, all these horrible events happening in the rural desert where hardly anyone is around and it's naturally a spooky environment. There's a great score from Mark Isham where the synth usually isn't in your face but instead a lot of it sets the mood & atmosphere as it can be quite moody.

Howell as the poor protagonist whose life has now become a living hell and is forever ruined... he did a great job there, as did poor Jennifer Jason Leigh, who unexpectedly gets roped into a horrible situation; however, it is Hauer and the terrifying villain he played who is the most memorable aspect whenever he is on screen, and the interactions he has with C throughout. This was a great choice on my part to acknowledge the loss of an actor who sadly appeared in a cornucopia of low-budget crap later in life as people shouldn't forget astounding performances such as what he did here.

No comments:

Post a Comment