Friday, December 28, 2018

The Night Comes For Us

The Night Comes for Us (2018)

Runtime: 120 minutes

Directed by: Timo Tjahjanto

Starring: Several people who were in films like The Raid series

From: Several Indonesian companies, plus Netflix

Whoops, I did not post this when I wanted to, which was before I left for Kansas... I am still in Kansas now.

Safety starts with me.

As has become a tradition now, starting on Sunday I'll be out of town for about a week as I will be halfway across the country at the house of a sibling; I have things to do until then and with any luck I'll see some sort of film there new to me but if not... who knows when I will return. That out of the way, for the past few months I have heard plenty concerning this film. Despite the rave reviews and having seen several other productions involving the key players, I kept on putting off seeing this, until I finally pulled the trigger... or in this case, fired off countless rounds of ammunition from a semi-automatic weapon.

The plot is not what you'd call original: an enforcer for the Triad (Ito) decides not to kill a little girl in what was supposed to be a massacre of an entire village, and the Triad sends various assassins to try and kill Ito. At least he has some pals to assist him against the onslaught of thugs, such as a bearded dude only known as White Boy Bobby. To be frank, I could nitpick various aspects of the story and for sure, the film is WAY over the top when it comes to the action and how much bloodletting there is. For some it could be too much and in fact it almost became too much for me due to the filmmakers trying too hard. Yet it never reached that point for me of being too much.

Of course all that most people will care about while watching this is the action and violence; when several people from The Raid franchise are involved with this, expectations should be high. While I don't love the film overall like I do The Raid: Redemption, the action beats you get here are all tremendous, as many dudes (along with some women) just get wrecked... dozens of limbs are broken, gallons of blood are spilled, all sorts of makeshift weapons are used, and all of it is shot in a clear manner and sometimes stylishly so.


In addition, the musical score is interesting: always electronic and sometimes sounding like synthwave, but at times there is what sounds like Gregorian monks chanting. For those that love movies involving the likes of Iko Uwais, Julie Estelle, and Joe Taslim (and for the first time Uwais and Taslim face off on screen in an OOT battle) and/or you love ultraviolent action movies, this is a must-see and it is easy for many to see due to it usually being featured when you log onto Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment