Thursday, November 9, 2017

Murder On The Orient Express (The 70's Version)

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

Runtime: 128 minutes

Directed by: Sidney Lumet

Starring: An incredible cast, as I mention below

From: Paramount

Last night seemed like the best night to finally see this film. I am glad I did, as I explain below: 

As the Kenneth Branagh film is just about to be released to cinemas, I figured last night was the perfect time for me to see the 1974 movie version, directed by Sidney Lumet and featuring an incredible cast. Even if there wasn't the new flick, I still should watch a movie that brings together Albert Finney, Martin Balsam, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Jacqueline Bisset, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, and Richard Widmark.

Honestly, before the film I was in the dark about the plot aside from the setting and how the hero has to solve a murder while the train is stuck and stopped due to snow. I hadn't read the Agatha Christie novel... heck, I haven't read any of her novels period. Indeed, the plot was famed Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. He was an eccentric individual; then again, there were plenty of over the top characters here. As it was not a subtle story as presented, that is why many of the characters played it loud.

I dare not spoil the story; I imagine that while there are many who are familiar with the plot in some way, there will be many others who are not. I'll just say the film does highlight some lines of dialogue and you'll probably spot those moments; it does come into play at the denouement as Poirot explains his theory of what happened. It is a deal where once things are explained, what is said early in the film makes sense. The very beginning spends a few minutes showing a Charles Lindbergh's baby being kidnapped-esque story where the famed aviator's child is taken, held for ransom, then killed. This movie's kidnapping was of the Armstrong family's tyke being taken and killed; it does factor into what happens on the train.

In short, while over the top this is still a fun movie to watch. Besides, I did guffaw at what the hangup was of Perkins' character. Yes, it actually was what you'd guess it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment