Sunday, November 19, 2017

Hit Man

Hit Man (1972)

Runtime: 90 minutes

Directed by: George Armitage

Starring: Bernie Casey, Lisa Moore, Sam Laws, Candy All, Pam Grier

From: MGM

I've been busy the past few days but I was able to squeeze this in last night, and I am glad I did. This is a remake of a famous film, as I explain below: 

It's been way too long since I've seen any blaxploitation, so I stayed up very late last night to see this movie on TCM Underground. Someone I know praised it so I figured it was worth a watch. Besides, it starred the late Bernie Casey and (no lie) this is a remake of Get Carter. What Sly Stallone did in 2000 wasn't the first American effort. Shamefully I still haven't seen the original. One day I'll get around to it, and give a better review to the Stallone version, which I thought was OK but to be honest, me swooning over Rachael Leigh Cook may play a part in the rating...

Anyhow, the plot is what you'd expect if you've seen Get Carter. Casey is Tyrone Tackett, who is a lawyer and he goes to Los Angeles to investigate his brother's murder, and finds a rather seedy world, and he also has to deal with his niece; here she isn't Doreen but instead is Rochelle. The movie takes its time but I found that to be OK as I was always invested in the story. The final act, it was worth the journey. That's when Pam Grier first shows up, but that's not the only reason by any means. A lot happens, and it is quite bloody. Casey was awesome as the lead, believable as a badass.

Seeing this reminded me how it is usually fun seeing works in this genre. The 70's vibe, the funky music, the fashion... there's hilariously awesome clothing to see all throughout. I wish this would be easier for people to track down as if you enjoy the original Get Carter-which I am sure I will-then this also needs to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment