Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Lion King

The Lion King (1994)

Runtime: 88 minutes

Directed by: Roger Allers/Rob Minkoff

Starring: An all-star voice cast

From: Disney

Yes, I got to see this theatrically; some other Disney animated films (although mainly from the 21st century) will sometimes be shown at a few different AMC Theatres locations. Thankfully, this is something I can still rank really highly. I give the details below: 

Tuesday night I was at an AMC Theatres in Tampa and I saw two movies there in a row. The second was the new Korean movie The Battleship Island, and the first was The Lion King. Yes, some AMC locations are playing it this week. The rest of the year, those places will show older Disney movies... mainly from the 21st century. Back in 1994 as a 13 year old, my mom took me and my two younger sisters to see this. I know I watched it on VHS after the fact but the last viewing had to be at least 20 years ago.

Even now this movie is still popular, with there being a successful Broadway play based on the film being a raging success. The crowd at this screening wasn't large and I wish the parents would have done a better job of parenting their children, but I was still able to focus on what is a great movie. Everyone should know the story by now... and not just because it was obviously inspired by Hamlet and possibly was inspired by the Japanese anime Kimba the White Lion. It is an enjoyable tale which works both for kids and adults; I am glad it was not cloying or obnoxious for the adults. I avoid most of the kids movies made in recent years but I understand I would likely find them to be pretty putrid. This movie even managed to do burping and farting jokes well; it has come to my attention that those aforementioned kids movies commonly have such jokes and they aren't done with any skill whatsoever. In addition, it also has nice messages for the kids.

Aside from the story and the gorgeous traditional animation and the quality songs from Tim Rice & Elton John, I also appreciate Scar for being such a villainous lion, a schemer who is totally amoral. Jeremy Irons was an excellent choice to voice such a character. I am glad I got to see this again, and in a big way. I was reminded of how Disney Animation experienced a renaissance and they made those critical and public darlings, before that changed. To be honest, I look at things like Frozen, and that doesn't look appealing to me. At least people actually watched them, unlike Atlantis: The Lost Empire or Treasure Planet. I think their negative impact on Pixar is more objectionable but that is another topic for another time, as is how this movie is getting a live-action remake which I know will be a giant box office hit but I will presume it will totally be pointless.At least this movie will always be around for people to watch and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment