Saturday, August 12, 2017

Creature From Black Lake

Creature from Black Lake (1976)

Runtime: 91 minutes

Directed by: Joy N. Houck Jr.

Starring: Dennis Fimple, John David Carson, Jack Elam, Dub Taylor, Bill Thurman

From: Jim McCullough Productions

This is a random movie I stumbled upon last night and I had no idea it even existed before then. I explain how this film lensed by Dean Cundey (no, really) came to my attention and if it's any good below: 

Last night I was going to watch something else. My Blu-ray player has an Amazon app so I am able to stream movies that way. The app was on and in the recommendations section was this film, which I had never heard of before. The brief plot description stated that it was people looking for a Bigfoot-like creature in the Louisiana swamps, and that's what it was. Jack Elam and Dub Taylor were listed as the stars but they actually have supporting roles. Dennis Fimple and John David Carson were the college student leads, and even if they were both grad students and even if one of the characters fought in Vietnam, they are still the two oldest “college” kids I have ever seen.

I understand the plot is typical to the 70's Bigfoot genre; I can say for certain it's entirely predictable. The leads are from Chicago so naturally they stick out as city slickers in rural Louisiana, filled with what may be pejoratively described as “rednecks”. The residents of Oil City are unwilling to talk about “the creature” and the large old sheriff wishes they would leave. Taylor plays an old grandfather and Elam is a trapper who drinks moonshine out of a giant jug. Like I said, there are few surprises.

At least I can still say the movie is watchable, explaining my average rating. The two leads are goofy and yet they have their charm, so even if it goes long stretches without the creature showing up, you aren't bored to tears. As for Sasquatch, you never get a great look at him. It may be due to the Amazon Prime print of this being a VHS fullscreen rip, but the critter was always in the dark. At least for those that are familiar with the movie or like it enough from a previous viewing (as someone I know does), I was told that in the future, Synapse Films will release the movie on DVD and Blu-ray; at least that way it can be seen in its proper form. I am sure that would be better than any possible remake, as it'd probably be found footage and it could be condescending. Instead, the movie should remain in the 70's along with things like The Legend of Boggy Creek (it had to be a big inspiration for this) where its easygoing nature works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment