Friday, May 5, 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Oh, you should know all the details by now

Yesterday was the first time I saw this movie. I know, I know... thankfully it was something I enjoyed. I watched it in 3D in a double-bill with the new film, which I'll post the review to tomorrow night. Below, I talk about the original: 

Would people believe it when I say that it wasn't until yesterday that I had first seen this motion picture? 'Tis true. I've mentioned in other reviews how superhero/comic book movies aren't really my thing... I'll expand upon that in re-reviews I'll do in the future but it does not matter if it's Marvel or DC, the few ones I've seen that have been made in this new renaissance (meaning: the past 10 years) did not knock my socks off and what I've heard about most of those in that cycle, I am glad I did not waste my time with them. Sorry, but they aren't for me, a person who never read comics as a kid and does not give a darn about most comic book characters.

Despite what looked like a colorful movie and it being filled with the type of songs that I love, I never sat down to see it until yesterday, when various locations showed it and the new one back to back... tomorrow I'll review Volume 2. I thought about watching the original in the past, but I never pulled out the magic arrow, so to speak. Honestly, when I first heard about the film and discovered it involved a talking bipedal raccoon and a giant bipedal sentient tree, I thought, “What the F is this stupid S?” It just sounded really dopey.

Well... as you can see by this rating, it was something I actually did enjoy quite a bit. As I am likely one of the last people on the site to see this motion picture, everyone knows the plot by now. I did find it a lot of fun to see this disparate characters come together via happenstance and in order to prevent the universe from being destroyed they have to work together and they soon realize they are all misfits who don't have any friends so they might as well become a wacky family... while not the most original of stories at least it was done in a very enjoyable way, with a nice lead cast and a cheerful tone.

I am glad that this was something I dug and I wasn't annoyed by either any of our heroes or how they interacted with each other. I did in fact enjoy how colorful the movie was, or how they used a bunch of great old songs in a memorable way. Yeah, the action wasn't always shot in the best way (something I understand is not a rare thing in the Marvel Universe) and even I know that in general, Marvel villains aren't always the best, and that was the case here... even with those demerits, I can say this was a motion picture I did not regret seeing and watching it on the big screen with a big crowd was an opportunity I am glad I had. This doesn't suddenly make me want to start watching more comic book flicks but a zany space opera with a great attitude and also some good supporting characters-Michael Rooker's Yondu being the highlight-was something quite appealing to me. I suppose I should be glad that I haven't seen most Marvel films and thus did not think the third act was derivative and unoriginal as I understand they typically are in that cinematic universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment