Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Creature From The Black Lagoon

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

Runtime: 79 minutes

Directed by: Jack Arnold

Starring: Richard Carlson, Julie Adams, Richard Denning, Antonio Moreno, Nestor Paiva

From: Universal

This is a movie I had only seen once before, and I was a kid then; that means it's been many years. I am glad this is something I still find to be enjoyable. Read why below: 

This is another one of those movies that I've seen before but the first (and last) viewing was many years ago; in this case I was a kid. I figured it was about time I saw this creature feature again as it is pretty good.

The setting was Brazil-although it was filmed in Florida-and a ragtag group of people (with different backgrounds; there's the small crew of the small fishing ship, along with various scientists and as one of them is a woman, of course she's in a romantic relationship) are in the Amazon to find the rest of what they think is an old fossil of a “gill man”, only there is a gill man still alive and he doesn't like those intruders.

It's a B movie, but a pretty entertaining one. There's nice scenery, drama involving the people on this expedition not agreeing on how to handle various things, moments of suspense, and Julie Adams did make for a nice damsel in distress; I understand why Gill wanted to kidnap her. And the suit of the Creature still looks great today. That is why I say this is entertaining. Maybe one day I'll be able to see it in 3D, which is what it was shot for. For many years they've been wanting to do a remake (none other than John Carpenter was attached to it, way back when) and considering that Universal is starting a new series of monster movies with The Mummy, maybe it'll finally happen. I just don't know if it will be a fun watch like the original is.

No comments:

Post a Comment