Saturday, May 6, 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

Oh, you should know the details to this, too.

I don't love this movie like many do; I can still say it was at least fine and not something I regret seeing theatrically with a big crowd. Read why below:

Thursday night I saw this movie; it was right after I got to see the original film (which I rated as 4 stars) on the big screen. Both screenings were in 3D... I'd talk about how that is a dying format but that'll have to be at another time. I'll just say that the 3D looked fine but I rarely see films that way anymore.
As for this movie specifically, it was just released in the United States on Thursday night so of course I'll try to remain as vague as possible so nothing gets spoiled. As I presume all the trailers mentioned this, part of the plot is Star-Lord finding his dad, who happens to be Kurt Russell (no relation). The plot to this is different from the first; I was glad it was not a retread. The story is more meandering but for what they were telling that was fine. The original story was expanded upon and you got to know the characters better.
Personally, I thought that what got the plot started was kind of dumb, and the humor (which there is a lot of) was more hit and miss for me. I imagine many will disagree (the crowd I was with seemed to be over the moon for the film) but some of the jokes were bad and/or there were gags that were way too long. Not to mention, some of the characters suddenly start acting like real A-holes, and I wasn't always sure as to why. It's a shame as otherwise this was fun for what it was.
For example, it seemed like all 255 million colors of the rainbow were used; to me that was a good thing as it was a beautiful movie to look at. The cast does a swell job and I enjoyed the new faces, including Russell and Sly Stallone. There were still moments that made me laugh and there were also pretty emotional scenes. Like with the original, the 70's music with a 60's song mixed in* was very rad to me. I was pleased that a particular character got to shine in this movie, as the actor is pretty awesome and the performance was high marks, as I'd expect.
I have no idea why the comics division of Marvel is creating those repugnant stories involving beloved characters, but I understand Marvel Studios is completely separate from them so I don't feel like I need to shower after seeing this film. The large crowd I was with seemed to love this, so I presume that most people who rate the original highly will feel the same once they see this and its FIVE short scenes throughout the end credits. At least I can say this was "fine" with its action beats, expansive color palette and various sources of merriment.
* Something that I have noticed as of late is a multitude of people here saying that the two movies are filled with “80's music.” I am not mad at the mistake, just saddened that more people don't know the music from the past. Me, when I think of artists like Fall Out Boy, Lil Yachty, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons, Lana Del Rey... I'd rather hold an Infinity Stone than endure that cacophonous noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment