Monday, January 23, 2017

xXx: State Of The Union

xXx: State of the Union (2005)

Runtime: 101 minutes

Directed by: Lee Tamahori

Starring: Ice Cube, Samuel L. Jackson, Willem Dafoe, Scott Speedman, Xzibit

From: Revolution Studios

You know, this movie isn't great but it isn't horrid like many people say it is... although the CGI in the final act is rather appalling. I talk all about it below: 

Saturday night I watched this movie in full. I had seen bits and pieces of it in the past but Saturday was the first full viewing. I understand that many don't like this movie at all; it certainly is not a globe-trotting adventure like the first film nor is it in your face about being XTREME. That is OK with me as I was fine with this being what studio execs would probably call “an urban action movie.”

The plot: The crazy MF'er known as Ice Cube is the new xXx agent and he has to deal with some people related to his past, who happen to be plotting an insidious plot involving the President of the United States; insert your own topical jokes if you so desire. I can say that this movie is just as dopey as the first one and is filled with wacky implausible moments. While not something I wish to see again anytime soon at least it was watchable and I did not regret checking this out. I was reasonably entertained so no complaints about the movie as a whole, aside from it being average by my grade.

However, the final act... it uses a lot of CG to bring the scenario to life. That is a problem when the CG is really terrible; I mean, especially in 2017 it looks so fake and saying it's something from a PS3 game is probably being too generous. At least it made me laugh uproariously, even though that definitely was not the intent of director Lee Tamahori. By the way, I imagine that he wishes he never would have accepted the job of directing Die Another Day, as that ruined his career. He had to pay penitence for that job-although I don't place all the blame on him for how that turned out-by directing this.

All that said, this movie wasn't painful to watch, Ice Cube was fine in his role, old pros like Samuel L. and Dafoe, and it had some rollickin' action scenes so I can't carp too loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment