Sunday, January 29, 2017

Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now (1979)

Runtime: The original version is 153 minutes long. The version on Amazon Streaming is a few minutes shorter as it does not have end credits. The Redux version is 202 minutes long.

Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola

Starring: Martin Sheen, Frederic Forest, Albert Hall, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall

From: Omni Zoetrope

I've seen this movie before, albeit years ago. Due to reasons I explained below, this was a good time to see both the original and the Redux version. I talk about both below: 

Two important details before I start the review:

Yes, the impetus behind me finally seeing this movie again after many years was the news that came out of nowhere concerning how at this moment, on Kickstarter is a fund to help fund a videogame based on this film; that was something I never expected, let alone one involving some top videogame talent.

Thursday night I watched the theatrical version; I took a break on Friday and Saturday night I saw Apocalypse Now Redux; as there isn't a separate page for that, I'll be talking about both here.

I can't quite explain why but I've put off watching this film again. I mean, I hadn't seen it in many years, so shame on me for not getting around to it sooner. I know that after seeing both versions, this is a movie I appreciate more now than in the past. I presume everyone is familiar with the plot of how in 1969 Vietnam during the Vietnam War, Captain Willard has to go on a boat to Cambodia for Colonel Kurtz, who has gone rogue. So I won't dwell on that, nor how this was heavily based on Joseph Conrad's old novel Heart of Darkness, which many people probably read in high school like I did.

I will talk about the opening scene in particular. It is perfect in establishing the film. The mix of The End by The Doors, the jungle in flames, the blades of the ceiling fan being like the blades on a helicopter, Martin Sheen hot and sweaty in a Saigon apartment, artifacts strewn about, him being haunted by the war, him drunkenly punching a mirror (which was actually legit, as Sheen was drunk at the time; he had a problem with alcohol during this period).. it's excellent and prepares you for what is to come. The movie is a long surreal journey up the river to meet Mr. Kurtz, and along the way Willard meets strange characters, who have something in common.

There are many themes present in the film, but the one I'll bring up is how war changes everyone. There are a wide variety of different personalities that you see Willard run across, but all of them share the common bond that the war either has already changed them or it will change them during the course of the movie. It's not just Kurtz who has gone crazy due to all the time in the jungle. Regrettably, some of the people who worked on the film suffered a bitter irony of also being negatively changed by the experience of working on this movie. The excellent documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (which I will see again soon so I can give it a review) gives all the gory details but notably, Martin Sheen suffered a heart attack and almost died, and I am not surprised that Francis Ford Coppola has never directed a movie of this caliber again.

As for the Redux movie that added 49 minutes of footage, some of the additions were interesting but others were really better left on the cutting room floor. I am looking at all the time spent on the French Plantation, which was quite long and did not make the movie any better. I'd rate it a little less than 5 stars. Both probably should be seen so you can judge for yourself but I say that the original is a masterpiece... despite (or maybe sometimes because) the incredibly difficult shoot, an outstanding movie was made that combined great performances, an excellent score from the director's father Carmine, Francis himself and Craig Huxley, cinematography by Vittorio Storaro that may be the best of all time... all this and other factors came together to see a movie that is a must-see and is more than just iconic moments and phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment