Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Mr. And Mrs. Smith (The One From 1941)

Mr and Mrs. Smith (1941)

Runtime: 94 minutes

Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock

Starring: Carole Lombard, Robert Montgomery, Gene Raymond, Jack Carson, Philip Merivale

From: RKO

This was a random watch last night; it's not great and pales in comparison to both Hitch's best films and the must-see screwball comedies. Yet, it's not bad like some say it is. I talk all about it below: 

This film was on Turner Classic Movies late last night and I figured I'd give this a viewing, even if it's not the most popular movie that Hitchcock ever did... in fact, I understand that many strongly dislike it. I do not hate it but I can only say that it's fine. The charms of Carole Lombard, Robert Montgomery and Gene Raymond are a big help here. Basically, a married couple has obvious issues, despite saying that they love each other. Well, a technicality suddenly makes their marriage annulled and one of the two wishes not to officially get married.

The movie isn't terrible as some people like to think; while it definitely is not the typical Hitchcock picture, I am OK with that, as a director shouldn't do the same or similar things all the damn time. To me, I can only rate this as “fine” as the story is not great and it's not hilarious throughout like screwball comedy classics It Happened One Night or Bringing Up Baby, which I've seen before years ago and one day I'll watch anew and review them here. It has its laughs but it's only funny enough to where I can give it such a rating. Plus, to be honest I am not sure if I would want to be friends with either Mr. or Mrs. Smith with the way they act towards each other or how they are one of those annoying couples that constantly argue!

At least the movie is well done when it comes to the filmmaking craft. It's just not as filled with laughs as the classic screwball comedies of yore. I don't fault Hitch for working with Lombard, though... he and his family became friends with her and her husband at the time, Clark Gable. If only she would not have died so young, you know that she would have been the leading lady in one of his suspense classics. It'd be perfect, and probably pretty awesome as well. Regretfully, this was the only time those two got to work together. At least it's presumably better than the film of the same name starring Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie...

No comments:

Post a Comment