Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Blood Father

Blood Father (2016)

Runtime: 88 minutes

Directed by: Jean-Francois Richet

Starring: Mel Gibson, Erin Moriarty, Diego Luna, Michael Parks, William H. Macy

From: Lionsgate Premiere

This is pretty much a direct to video movie I got to see on the big screen last night, but in this day and age, “direct to video” isn't necessarily a statement of poor or lackluster quality. In fact, I thought that for action fans, this is a worthwhile picture. I explain why below: 

Earlier this year I heard about this film (a standard action movie starring the infamous Mel Gibson) on-you guessed it-a messageboard. Then, when this came out in limited release this past Friday, there was plenty of grumbling about how it was supposed to also be Video on Demand on the same day, but because this was released by Lionsgate and Lionsgate is worse than genital warts, the VOD got pushed back a few weeks. Unlike how it usually is, Orlando was one of the cities that got a limited release film, so I figured I should check it out. I am glad I did.

This is a standard meat and potatoes action film which isn't exactly filled with surprises, but to me that is OK as I enjoy the taste of meat & potatoes. Mel Gibson plays convicted felon JOHN LINK; he's a badass. His daughter is a runaway, but when she gets in a lot of trouble by hanging out with some very undesirable people, she runs to dad and you can probably figure out what happens from there. They try to repair their fractured relationship but there's a lot of friction, he kicks a lot of ass, etc. In supporting roles are such famous faces as Diego Luna, Michael Parks, Miguel Sandoval, and even William H. Macy, of all people.

The cast is uniformly fine and Erin Moriarty is good as errant daughter Lydia, but it is Gibson who is the star of the show in every which way and delivers a memorable performance as a badass who is nonetheless vulnerable; before his daughter arrived, he simply wished to stay on the straight and narrow, as he's on parole. Note that my enjoyment of Mel in movies is not an endorsement of Mel Gibson as a human being; I certainly do not approve of some of the things he's done; I'll just be vague and say that there are several references to various controversies & problems in Gibson's life in this film. I was surprised by that but I will presume he wanted them there as a mea culpa and a way to note and address these issues. And as should be no surprise, there are some references to his most famous movies throughout this picture.

As for the movie as a whole, it's not wall to wall action and that is OK. As this is rated R, when the action does happen it is pretty violent, and there's plenty of vulgar language throughout. It is compelling when it is not violent and in ways I won't elaborate, this seemed like an old fashion action film in the best ways. I know this movie won't be for everyone; however, for those that enjoy the good action movie-especially the ones we got in the past-then you'll likely dig what this is serving. You may have to wait to see it, but if it's playing near you, I'd say to go ahead and check it out on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment